Weather Where You Are

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Snow came in, but last night it was too warm to stick. It did stick this morning, maybe 2-3 inches. I left the horses indoors today, by plan. Since their stalls were totally clean and LOTS of shavings and straw, I opted to not clean stalls today. They don't really care. I was the sloppy horse owner, throwing straw on top of poo. Doesn't matter--it's all going to compost anyway. Winds 20-30 mph and muddy/icy in their turnout. Tomorrow, 37 for a high, with 15-25 mph winds and somewhat sunny. I'll turn them out then. Sunday, high of 58.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
we picked up about 8 inches here in the driveway. it was really perfect weather for shovelling when i went out because the horizontal snow had stopped and there wasn't too much wind until i got right to the end out by the road where there are no trees for protection. it's the most snow we've had in one event all season.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Me, too, 60 on Sunday. Gotta get out mid morning with the tractor to do some work on the fence neroxt to the lawn. They guy that Used to be a nice neighbor has gotten mean or crazy (disagreement about the Wind Farm, he wants it, I don't). He used to get his property spotless, but I think He bought the really big dumpster and parked a non working Van in back of it. He used to use it as a driveway, so I tried to keep the fenceline clear, but I am really tired of looking at it. When he dropped a tree ~5 years ago it collapsed 1/2 of what what left of the cattle fencing. Since I used the remainder of the leftover roll from 2008 for gardening (that I had kept housed, so it's in great condition) I have enough to complete the fencing that it gone. What DH and I intend to do this morning is to use the bucket and straps (for hauling) to lift up the old fencing to it's proper level, then I will step on and stretch out what collapsed. After that I should be able to attach it to the existing fenceposts. I took the time a few weeks ago to cut off the flexible metal that you use to hook the cattle fencing to a metal fence post. Each one had 4 of these, and I carefully cleaned them up and put them in my recycle metal trash can in the tool shed. I will use blue and orange baling twine to secure them to the fenceposts bc it's super easy to work with, and I have a lot of experience gardening with fenceposts and securing with baling twine. I would like to start planting peas this next week on my side of the fence. Later this year I will make decisions of what perennials can go in to grow up and hide his junk, which now includes broken windows. On the SE corner I have to kill off poison ivy. I intend to spray it, maybe tomorrow and once I see it's dead, I will cut cardboard and dump compost on top of it. One area of the fencing next to the street got blasted with D-2 last summer and it's still clear. I need to feed the horses now and check out how much leftover snow may b e melting. Btw, has anybody grown pussywillows?

Latest posts