Weather Where You Are

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Something that I have noticed about some European cities ~ and this is mostly from using Google Streetview to toodle around ;):

Urban and agricultural land are often clearly defined. The line between them can be well defined. Zoning.

I have wondered if a second generation working on a farm might often live in dense apartment complexes on urban streets with bicycles and public transportation. Meanwhile, their parents live in the countryside. The two generations may work the farm, every day.

In time, I'm sure, the old people trade residences with the younger generation ;).

Steve

thejenx

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@digitS'
In my country it's quite common that the next generation stays on the farm, at the older farms there was often a 'summer' house that is now being used as a second home for either the new or old generation. Also farmers can build a second, but smaller home separate or as an add-on to the existing home. This only applies to working farms, not to ones that are just homes. One of my best friends is a dairy farmer and he build an addition to the existing 80's farmhouse for his father. I actually made the building drawings for this add on.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just wrote that ramble about genealogy ...

@thejenx , the Canadian shipbuilders were English.

The American shipbuilder was Dutch, and that explains my Dutch surname. Holland didn't have enough of those dikes, ditches and windmills during American colonial times, I guess. He came with the British to Chesapeake Bay ... It would be kinda fun to say that he came to Nieuw Nederland ;).

It's beginning to snow ... :confused:

Steve

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
@digitS'
In my country it's quite common that the next generation stays on the farm, at the older farms there was often a 'summer' house that is now being used as a second home for either the new or old generation. Also farmers can build a second, but smaller home separate or as an add-on to the existing home. This only applies to working farms, not to ones that are just homes. One of my best friends is a dairy farmer and he build an addition to the existing 80's farmhouse for his father. I actually made the building drawings for this add on.

It seems that around here, it is more the custom to start bring in trailers to park around the main house, Eventually the main house dies from neglect, and the trailers look like they were never taken care of either. Some sad little scenarios.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
The temps are better today. Up to 11 degrees from yesterday's 7 degrees. These temps are rare for us. Usually once a season. Wed. in the 40''s.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've had a couple of gentle frosts so far but have not had any below freezing temperatures. The next 3 to 4 weeks are usually my critical times. After February 15 my chances of frost historically drop below 25%. I'm targeting March 1 as a reasonable time to start most of my warm-weather crops. I'll see what it is like then and how warm the ground is. Quite a bit different to northwest Arkansas.

thejenx

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Look at this lovely picture from my uncle's windmill in my home town! :love

Vlietmolen.jpg

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Very pretty!!! Does it still work?

Was 7* here today but 22* at roost height in the coop this morning...loving the DL.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Look at this lovely picture from my uncle's windmill in my home town! :love

View attachment 30269

That's a beautiful scene! I think you should put it on the POW thread.

I have some questions Jen, the vanes on the windmill don't look like they have any wind catching material on them, is that a seasonal thing or is the windmill not in service anymore?

And, those trees look like they get pollarded every year, is that a standard practice in Holland?