Weather Where You Are

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score

"Ouch" is about all that can be said about it!

At least the 25 spruce plugs I planted a few weeks ago are getting most of their watering from Mother Nature. I've only had to water them myself about 3 times. When this (insert expletive here) snow melts, it should provide them all with a nice drink.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just uncovered tomatoes and peppers that I bedded with straw and put tarps or buckets over them. Tarps worked MUCH better than buckets, which surprised me. Tomatoes handled the weather much better than peppers did-at least by outward appearance.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
This untimely cold weather in your neighborhoods prompted me to do something that I have avoided doing - look at Wyoming.

I have looked many times for information from Cooperative Extension in places like the UofNew Hampshire and Cornell. Locally, sure. Never have I ventured into Wyoming gardening information. Yes, there are some communities in that state where the frost-free period is not much more than a month each year.

Okay, i think that I will survive this morning's experience ... How Extension's first page has information on hoophouses. There is a vegetable gardens pdf and I downloaded b1148. It's oriented towards gardening season extension. Glad to look through it ;).

Steve

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Yesterday was a little bit chilly, but very nice. DD pushed me to clean out 1/2 of the tool shed, used-to-be-chicken-coop, once upon a time, and move in my "brooder", the 110 gal sized steel water tank with a visible 4 inch seal leak at the bottom. Lots cleaner, 2 full big bags of garbage and (SHHHH!!!) the CW Reenactment table that Somebody made, don't remember who, but it's been sitting in there waiting to be glued/nailed back together for at Least a full decade.
I made us an early afternoon fire, so that we would have burning logs and embers for after dinner around my fire pit.
The table was the first thing to burn, and DH knows Nothing about it.
ToDAY, 30mph winds and blustery. Ponies are out on the north pasture, 2nd time this year. It isn't very high, so I am not worried, and they mowed in the Inner Sanctum in front of the barn yesterday morning.
I opened the gate that leads out to turnout around the barn, Cup and Cakes started to push it in, I pointed and told him I would open up the north pasture, so he turned and followed me, and patiently waited for me to unhook the chain and open up the gate for him. Good little soul!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
yay! good soaking rain, which we've needed for about a week or two now. will make gardening much easier. :)

no frost in the forecast for at least the next week.

i think we're going to go get the garden starts in the next few days so we can harden them off and get them ready to be planted.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
plenty of rain. 4+ inches in the rain gauge. so far the berm has held up.

water over the road, but at least not flowing uphill (yes it has done that before)...

across the road looks like a lake again, not sure if it was sprouted yet or not over there.

my own pea patch looks to have survived.

more rain on the way, hope not too much more. everything went from dry to too wet.

i don't think Mom will be mowing tomorrow...

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Pretty soaked here as well; about 4" locally, with many communities more than that. The weather forecaster really missed the mark on that one, we were only forecast for about 1.5"... but the storm slowed down, and basically parked over the Upper Midwest. Not a pounding rain though, the soil surface in the garden doesn't appear beaten down. I'm afraid to check the rural garden though. We had just begun the process of filling in the low spot, I hope the new soil wasn't washed away. :fl