Weather Where You Are

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
today is supposed to be a nice day, rains return tonight/tomorrow with a return to the mid-80s for a few days and then back down to more reasonable again. two more weeks of mid-70s would be really nice, not sure we're gonna get that but a hobbit can hope...

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
from the context i figured out they were sprinkler heads, but when i looked for XT on the web it came back with mostly bike parts. :)
Melnor XT turbo adjustables. I got them off amazon for a reasonable sum a few years ago. I am done with the fancy ones as they have all died after a while due to my plastic breaking superpowers.

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Melnor XT turbo adjustables. I got them off amazon for a reasonable sum a few years ago. I am done with the fancy ones as they have all died after a while due to my plastic breaking superpowers.
How do you set those up? I have one and moving around gets bit tricky when plants get huge.

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have perimeter irrigation with hose bibs, and 100 foot hose reels in boxes around the yard. The sprinklers can be adjusted for really wide circular areas on lawn or narrow rectangle shapes. They have the rotation limits forward and back if you do not need it all and a adjustable flow restrictor valve so you can adjust flow at the sprinkler instead of the hose bibb if you just need one plant or small garden. There is about 1000 feet of hose out there plus the garden irrigation and its pretty easy to get things wet as needed. We have so many trees around the house its problematic to cut roots for underground pipe when we really only use it in the 3rd quarter of the year.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Turned the heat on this morning.

Maybe I'm a wimp. It was 46°f outdoors with an expected high of 62° , clouds and rain this afternoon. The house was 67° __°°°

I think that the plants are doing okay. There is quite a bit of mildew on the climbing rose over the driveway gate. The veggies may not be too shook up because the 80+ weather (1, 90° day) was very brief. There has been too much wind but some pleasant temperatures and sunshine.

Jerked around a little? Well, I could be 500 miles south where Salt Lake City had its earliest 100° on record, yesterday. Now, the nearby community of Park City is under a hard freeze warning of 28° - tonight! How do tender plants even survive?!

Steve

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I couldn't bring myself to turn on the heat after Mother's Day! You are very brave. When we go to the rental cabin in CO in August, we leave the windows open by the creek and pile on the blankets at night. I have my favorite, fleece long underwear to wear to sleep in and wool socks, if necessary.
Does it ever get hot where you live, @digitS' ?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
this morning was low 50sF, today is beautiful outside, mid-70s and a breeze and sunshine. next few days go up to mid 80s, then low 90s then back to mid 70s and then even down into the 60s. the comment about "jerked around" isn't really suitable to spring weather here, but anything over 85 in May is too warm, but to go from overnight frost to 90s in two weeks was a bit much for even the toughest of us here. now they have us back to forecast overnight low in the high 40s by next Friday evening. the tomatoes may be a bit confused, but they are growing well now.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Does it ever get hot where you live, @digitS' ?
It often won't make it to 100°f during an entire summer but there are always 90+ afternoons. We aren't really planning for a 90° in May.

What is much appreciated is that the humidity is mostly 20% on summer afternoons. Even though the days are long at this latitude, temperatures drop at night. There's little humidity to hold the heat and it's 2000 feet elevation at a minimum with higher mountain elevations, nearby. Heat is pulled up.

Of course, these are difficult growing conditions for things like eggplant and peppers. With so much "coastal conditions" blowing in during the unsettled weather of spring, the growing is good for greens and not so good for everything else.

Steve

Prairie Rose

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My thermometer says it is 100, with heat index of 104, and has for the last several days. I'm sure it's nowhere near as hot for the official local temperature, but. Sometimes we get a day or two of heat in late may or early June, but we typically don't see triple digits until late july, early august, and they can stick around until late september.

Latest posts