Weather Where You Are

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Can't worry, just pray and believe that you are protected.

i'd rather keep my eyes open and actually have a plan (even if presently that means just eat some chocolate and go into the central safe area that is the best protected part of the house). :)

we're finally getting some rain here for the past week and it just started up again a few minutes ago here. i watered good this morning (as in Wednesday morning) too so this is yet another good soaking for the gardens.

i'm pretty used to tornadoes. yes a direct hit is scary (i've been within a few hundred feet of several small tornadoes), but the area is not huge so in terms of statistics i'd rather deal with tornadoes than hurricanes...

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wouldn't like to just pack a bag and leave.

But, that seems so possible with hurricanes. The information on where they are heading goes on for days. I'd imagine that there would be kind of a list of things that needed to be done, what should be gathered together, when to hit the road and where to go.

I can imagine that moving away from a hurricane would be a little like a vacation. Coming back would be significant. Probably there would be another list for reconnaissance and rehab, at least, initially. Repair, if needed, wouldn't be much fun.

I wish that I'd taken Mt St Helens more seriously. There have been unexpected icestorms. Just homeowner stuff - I sometimes have told DW, "I think that I did this once, 30 or 40 years ago." Tornadoes, I'd feel the need to be on my toes for months every year.

Must be convenient to have maids and maintenance people ... second (and 3rd homes). A personal assistant.

Steve

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Tornadoes would scare me to .yes it would be convenient to have servants, but my conscience wouldn'tbe able too take it. @digitS'

Can't say what the temperature is right now but I can tell you it's really hot for me. It's amazing the difference since yesterday, we seem too get many seasons all on one week.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
i'd rather keep my eyes open and actually have a plan (even if presently that means just eat some chocolate and go into the central safe area that is the best protected part of the house). :)

we're finally getting some rain here for the past week and it just started up again a few minutes ago here. i watered good this morning (as in Wednesday morning) too so this is yet another good soaking for the gardens.

i'm pretty used to tornadoes. yes a direct hit is scary (i've been within a few hundred feet of several small tornadoes), but the area is not huge so in terms of statistics i'd rather deal with tornadoes than hurricanes...
WHAT are you DOING up at 1AM?!?!?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
But, that seems so possible with hurricanes. The information on where they are heading goes on for days. I'd imagine that there would be kind of a list of things that needed to be done, what should be gathered together, when to hit the road and where to go.

That's basically it, Steve, except you have to decide where to go. We usually visit relatives when we evacuate. In 30 years we've probably done that 4 or 5 times. We keep a stash of non-perishable food and some water all the time, plus our important papers are kept in a grab bag. You pay attention to forecasts to see how bad it could be, where it might be going, and when it will get there.

If one might be heading your way some things are basic. You clean up your yard to remove anything that can become a flying missile. You top off your car so you have a full tank of gas. You make sure you have batteries for a radio and flashlights. Power often goes out if one hits. I freeze extra water, that ice keeps the stuff in the freezer frozen for longer.

At some point you might protect your windows, I have plastic hurricane panels I can put up, they can stop a flying 2x4 at a certain speed. pretty impressive. That's one reason we got a single story house when we moved back, I'm too old to do that on a ladder. Then you decide if you are going to evacuate. Where we are we are not worried about storm surge which makes it easier. We don't leave for a category 1. Some of you have thunderstorms worse than that. We probably will not leave for a category 2 unless it will be really slow moving and dump a lot of rain. Category 3 and we are out of here. We don't wait until the last second and usually leave around midnight. That avoids the worst of the traffic.

Unless something like Katrina hits you are usually gone for 2 or 3 days. Power is quickly restored. You clean up and get on with life. The Katrinas are why you evacuate.

One of the traditions for the "natives" down here is that when they evacuate they don't leave. They take their perishable groceries and go to Grandma's, a place that's been through a bunch of these. They make a gumbo and ride it out.

Tornadoes would scare me to

When we moved to northwest Arkansas that was into tornado country. There are plenty of people on here that live in tornado country, their experiences might be different from mine. I built a tornado shelter, which we used once in 11 years. Most of my neighbors didn't have that but they knew where their "safe room" is, usually an interior room if you don't have a basement. We received weather alerts by telephone. That was pretty annoying when they did it by county but eventually they got sophisticated enough that it was by your area. The TV stations were on. The weather reporters tracked them and told you when to seek shelter.

I personally prefer hurricanes to tornadoes, you get more warning and get to sleep through the night more often. Either one can be bad if you get a direct hit. When in Arkansas our worst event for us was not a tornado (would have been different with a direct hit) but an ice storm. Dangerous conditions and a lot of damage, especially to trees. We could hear trees and tree limbs crashing to the ground continuously up on the mountain. Our power was off from Tuesday until Saturday, a pretty miserable time. Our neighbor worked for the power company and it still took that much time.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Iowa can have lots of interesting and dangerous weather! But no hurricanes. Although some straight line winds have had wind speed equivalent to a hurricane! But not for duration, just a fast Blow Through! Ice Storms can do a lot of damage taking down miles of power lines and poles as well as lots of trees. Tornados or pretty hit and miss. We do have a pretty good warning system.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
You can get tornadoes crop out With a hurricane. Nobody within 100 miles of a seacoast can escape every hurricane. HOWEVER, I question real estate people who convince people that a beachside location like Mexico City is a GREAT place to build your average landlocked type home. I think only 4 structures survived and one was literally bombproof. I get very tired of the newsmedia, like during Hurricane Sandy, NOT showing us that houses a few blocks from the Atlantic Ocean were flooded, as Anybody would expect, and letting you believe that they were miles away.
Live where you want. I don't want to be taxed by FEMA and rebuild your house.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
WHAT are you DOING up at 1AM?!?!?

i had some caffiene yesterday and a bit of a nap in the early evening so once i woke up from that i was very awake until about 6am. caught another nap a bit ago so i hope that will be all i need for the day until later on.

Latest posts