Weather Where You Are

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
more rain today. the weeds and bugs got a break, except i did get out early enough before it rained to pick off whatever tomato worms i could find.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Crazy cool weather for Early August, I am not complaining. Upper 70's for day time highs an d mid to upper 50's overnight, Great sleeping weather. We got a quick hard rain, 1/2 inch in 15 to 20 minutes yesterday.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
After a Brutal 2 months of extreme heat and humidity, we have had an early Fall. Wednesday morning starts off at 52 degrees. Hay man decided to bring ALL 400 bales of hay and 50 bales of straw on 2 truckloads yesterday. The 2nd trailer load was so tall we had to pull out the extension ladder for the guys unloading to the loft. My 2 guys were inSide of the loft.
Still, everybody was sweating and I provided plenty of chilled Gatorade and a bucket with cold water and towels. ALL was greatly appreciated. I watched the work, bc I knew I had to unload branches from DD's tree that were on the truck, to be transported by the tractor, then feed their cats--they were out of town--and collect the last load. I drove it straight out to the burn pile. If you pull right, the whole load will pull off as one. DH used the tractor to push it all together.
The old truck, supposedly DD's truck (although I keep asking when they will take it), was my tractor before when I chopped down saplings. Sure a LOT easier with a tractor! I will post a picture of the hay load on my thread.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It was 19 today much cooler than we had had for months. Tonight we have wind and fine rain.

Thinking about everyone in the storm that we are hearing about in America. Hoping you are all safe!

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Carol, we are real close to the Gulf or Mexico and Lake Pontchartrain is just north of here. All that water moderates our temperatures. It can get over 100 F but that's rare. Humidity is miserable so it can feel like a steam bath when you step outside. I keep my work clothes in a shed out back that I change into (behind closed doors and away from windows) if I'm going to be out doing much. I'll be soaking wet almost immediately.

The north shore of Lake Pontchartrain is typically 5 to 10 degrees F warmer in the summer and 5 to 10 degrees F cooler in winter. That's the effect of water moderating temperatures. You have what is called a continental climate, well away from any moderating effects of big bodies of water. Your extremes will be a lot more than mine.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Carol, we are real close to the Gulf or Mexico and Lake Pontchartrain is just north of here. All that water moderates our temperatures. It can get over 100 F but that's rare. Humidity is miserable so it can feel like a steam bath when you step outside. I keep my work clothes in a shed out back that I change into (behind closed doors and away from windows) if I'm going to be out doing much. I'll be soaking wet almost immediately.

The north shore of Lake Pontchartrain is typically 5 to 10 degrees F warmer in the summer and 5 to 10 degrees F cooler in winter. That's the effect of water moderating temperatures. You have what is called a continental climate, well away from any moderating effects of big bodies of water. Your extremes will be a lot more than mine.
Interesting. We have been unseasonably cool. No complaining, even the humidity has been lower. :) Beginning to warm up. Usually when it gets hot it also gets very humid. UGH.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have to tell you about yesterday ;):

Had an early start and it was a day for me to run machines, in and around the garden. ~ Lawn Mower and Rototiller ~ Finished and headed home right at noon.

It was 57°f in the morning. Afternoon high was 94° !☀

Today, we may have our first sprinkle of rain in a month! It was windy when I crawled out of the bed and supposed to be more so this afternoon. Here is hoping that there is no lightning in our forests.

Steve

Latest posts