Weather Where You Are

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It is 17 right now and it's a lovely morning. Apparently we are in for the hottest day of the year.

Yesterday being outside felt like a hot steaming bathroom, with a dark gray sky, it all felt awful. Thankfully today looks like being a good day

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
We had a BIG wind 80 plus mph pass through about 2 p.m. It took out about 1/3 of our 100+ year old hackberry out and split the rest of the tree all the way to the ground. Thank Goodness it missed the house and the neighbor. Got is chained up until we get equipment to cut it down tomorrow. Here are a few picks. (Dang thing did smash my pretty flowers)
DSC05793.JPG
DSC05789.JPG
DSC05795.JPG
DSC05802.JPG

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Every time I see this happen you discover that tree was already damaged on the inside, like in your pictures.
I saw a program recently where a tree breeder talked about the shorter cultivars that the industry has been developing for a few decades now. They are bred to grow only about 15 or so ft tall, and MUCH better for city/suburban homes, instead of the ones like this, that tower at 20-30 ft and do all of the house damage that we see after storms.
Still, it hurts to see an old friend go down like this, just not go down on YOU!
Btw, I use my reciprocating saw every year to chop down saplings, and when they get tall and rangy, only about 2 1/2 inches in diameter, I make sure to saw off the top halves first. I have been knocked on the head before taking even these down at ground level. These big trees are SO HEAVY.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That looks like you had a hell of a storm there. Just pleased you are safe.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
55.3 c, on my thermometer o_O
The forecast said we were going to have a thunder and lightning storm in most parts of the country plus it would be hot for the area's it missed.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Beginning the clean up. may take a few days, the equipment we need may not come until tomorrow. Both Sons here to help. Cutting up what was already down. Yes @ducks4you it was showing signs of rotting now for a few years. DH procrastinated! We are lucky it was not worse. We live in an old home in the old part of town. The tree is older than the house, it will be missed. It may have been 60 ft. tall!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
@Carol Dee , I know what you mean. I need to come up with the $ to take down a 30 ft maple close to MY house. It has been growing mushrooms on the SW base for 3 years now. Hoping my neighbor, who took down one that size last year, MIGHT be able to do it for me. Last time I had to take a dying tree down it cost $600
I have even cut down girdling roots on many of my old trees, but if this one has them, they are underground, and I can't find them.

Latest posts