weed barrier in raised beds

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Does everyone use the plastic or cloth weed barrier in raised beds? I saw 2 kinds at the store today and debated. If you use some in raised beds do you use the pins or is it unecessary?
My beds go in tomorrow, how deep do you put the frames into the soil?
Sorry for all the questions, I get nervous about screwing up a project like this and then dealing with the repercussions. So please bear with me and after tomorrow I should be all set.:) At least I hope.

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Do you mean on the ground, like weed net?

Are you trying to prevent weeds from coming up between your vegetables?

Are you putting soil from your garden in the raised beds, or bringing in soil/compost?

Will you be planting in them right away, or is the plan to solarize the soil?

I don't like plastic, as it breaks down quickly. If I wanted to use something to plant my vegetables in, or something to solarize, my choice would be longer-life weed netting, over plastic, if you mean something like black plastic.

No, everyone doesn't use it, but you certainly can, if you feel there's a need for it. :)

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hi Tutter,
I am bringing in soil from a company.I was wondering if something should go in the bottom of the bed before the soil goes in to prevent weeds. I had heard that some people use mesh on the ground to prevent animals from digging into them as well, but I am wondering how necessary everything is.I am open to suggestions as to what to do.My husband just made the frames and the soil has not been delivered yet so I have some time to figure out what to do.
How deep do you bury the frames on these raised beds? Is it just enough to get them leveled?
I am guessing that solarizing the soil is allowing it to sit in the sun for a while to warm it and retain some heat?

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Okay, I understand now.

People use hard wire a lot for that, though not all. If you had a gopher problem, for example, it would help you out for a while, but if you haven't had any reason to think there's a real pest problem, then no, it's not needed. Only if you'd feel better doing it.

Solarization is when you cover your soil with, say, black plastic, for a few weeks. The heat from the sun kills some pests and weed seeds. It also increases the bioavailability of some nutrients.

There should be no need to bury the frame itself, much beyond level. But I have a tip for you. Fluff the soil where they are going, before adding the new soil. If you do, you will have another 6"-10" or so of aerated, loose soil, giving you a deeper growing space. It really does make a difference! :)

Latest posts