Weed Cloth-Anybody Use It?

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have used those feed bags that are a woven plastic mesh as weed barrier (under mulch) in areas that I plan to set up and leave for a few years. Like when I set up Mom's old wooden swing in that WEEDY corner of the yard. chopped, pulled and mowed weeds. covered in a heavily overlapped layer of feed bags & mulch. I've pulled a few surface weeds - things that fell & germinated in the mulch or things that crawled in from the sides, but so far NOTHING has come up from underneath.
As long as water will get through, I don't see why your plan won't work. Give it a try!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
@catjac1975 you mentioned on another thread that you use weed cloth. Can you tell me what you use and where you got it?

Greenhouse megastore-Don't go for the cheapest. I plan to fill a trash can with water and bleach, and soaking it before reusing just in case it harbors pathogens. I haven't done this before but I am concerned about curcurbit disease.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
@catjac1975 you mentioned on another thread that you use weed cloth. Can you tell me what you use and where you got it?
I also use it under my potted daylilies where I store them.. Sometime grass starts to grow through. I put cardboard and or plastic grain bags underneath to add to the weedblocting. It only does this because I put it directly over grass. In the veggie garden it has been a big weeding time saver.

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
The weeds still pop through...:eek:
I hate grass thread, I gave up. Gotta concrete it, lol.
I mean, it helps, but, eh. Maybe if you sandwich cardboard in between sheets of it? Idk

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
The weeds still pop through...:eek:
I hate grass thread, I gave up. Gotta concrete it, lol.
I mean, it helps, but, eh. Maybe if you sandwich cardboard in between sheets of it? Idk

we put a few layers of overlapping cardboard down over areas of grass or other weeds that we cover with landscape fabric. we don't notice anything coming back up through that. by the time the cardboard is eaten up by the worms/other soil creatures the grass hasn't enough energy to keep going. we'll also use old blankets, towels, carpet chunks, bags from mulch, etc. to add another layer of resistance under the weed barrier. eventually i may have to get all that stuff out of there including the weed barrier.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don’t want to pollute my soil with carpet and crap like that. I plan on rolling up the weed cloth at the end of the garden season and storing it. Then I can amend the soil over the winter. In our climate the soil never freezes. I’m looking out the window now at a green patch of lambs quarters in the garden. The weeds never stop! I’ll let the Sheep on on it before I till it under. Going to transplant a bunch of it to pastures and fence it for a weed seed garden. They love the stuff, might as well protect it so it can go to seed and spread it around-jus not in the garden!

@catjac1975 does water go through the weed cloth?

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bay, I wonder if the black surface will create too much heat for your garden plants? It would be nice for early spring planting, but I don't know about the rest of the season.

Latest posts