Weed ID Please- Safe for kids and livestock?

margali

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm near Dallas- Fort Worth, Texas. I just purchased 12.88 to build our ranch. I need some help with plant ID. Neither of the apps I have found these.

I remember being told this one is bad for people. The berries are bright purple when ripe and about blueberry size.
20210803_164911.jpg

This one I've never seen before. Good or bad? It's in side yard of house area. The globes are about quarter sized.
20210816_164111.jpg

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
The first photo looks like poke weed, Phytolacca americana. Although I believe some eat the young shoots in Spring, the whole plant is toxic. Especially to children, so if you have any living with you or visiting, those plants should be destroyed (I would destroy them anyway). Cover any exposed skin to prevent sap from being absorbed through the skin.

The second photo looks like some member of the Physalis genus, which includes ground cherries & tomatillos. It may be a wild tomatillo, especially if it is growing in a previous garden area... tomatillos volunteer in my garden every year. It would be worthwhile to confirm this with a local Extension office, since you may have some free food there - and to judge by the photo, maybe a lot of it.

Latest posts