Weed Recognition

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I am sort of hoping this is a comfrey weed. If so I can make up some feed for my potato's which I have planted in a pot.

Does anyone recognise this weed?

1000002297.jpg

1000002298.jpg

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
‘My phone” says it’s Hedge-nettle, the largest member of the mint family.

I grow comfrey (knit-bone) and have a couple dozen plants. I use it a number of different ways; fresh its good forage for my rabbits and after drying and crushing to remove bulk it’s a valuable element in my compost tea or sprinkled around as a soil ammendment.

good stuff. Common comfrey will spread but the Bocking 14 strain is more easily contained.

This is one of my Bocking 14 plants.

Attachments

• IMG_2761.jpeg
    IMG_2761.jpeg
    247.6 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score

I grow comfrey (knit-bone) and have a couple dozen plants. I use it a number of different ways; fresh its good forage for my rabbits and after drying and crushing to remove bulk it’s a valuable element in my compost tea or sprinkled around as a soil ammendment.

good stuff. Common comfrey will spread but the Bocking 14 strain is more easily contained.

all i knew was that it was not Comfrey. :)

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score

Thanks for your reply 👍 😀

I was getting excited about that plant. Because I made comfrey tea before and my plants used to thrive on it. . I'll look up the hedge nettle to see if there is any use for anything. If not i will just pull it out when I get more weeding done

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score

I'll be getting some of Bocking comfrey. Thanks again

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I saved it to my pictures and did Apple plant look up. Maybe it’s this?

View attachment 66318

View attachment 66319
I do believe you have got this right. It's the exact same.

So I just looked up any uses it might have and found out this information.
John Gerard, was a 17th century herbalist. He really was impressed with this plants healing powers. He used it to heal wounds.

Amazing and this just sprung up in my back garden 😍. This makes me love nature yet again. I will have to investigate how and what part of this plant he used :)

Last edited:

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
By the way. The weed directly behind in the picture has completely covered my back area. It spreads everywhere and has choked my blueberry Bush.

Last edited:

Latest posts