Weed torch

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score

Durgan

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I have used a torch for several years. It doesn't kill weeds only gives them an excellent habitant in which to grow, and can damage any nearby structure like a chicken wire fence. Some types of obnoxious grass grow magnificently after burning all the other vegetation to the ground. Conclusion not even worth buying.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
When you're starting a fire on a pile of brush it is fantastic. We used to spend half a day getting cold damp brush to start with newspaper and a match.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I got one this year to use on my gravel driveway. a gravel parking spot, and on a pile of rocks (I hate to call it a rock wall. It's not that elegant) that I use to keep my driveway from washing away in a heavy rain.

It takes a lot longer and a more concentrated blast to take out the grass for sure and a bit more than I expected on the weeds. It will knock them back to the ground but you have an ugly black stinking burned residue until it rains. It does absolutely nothing on killing the roots. The stuff generally grows back before the black goes away.

I can keep my driveway and a gravel parking spot outlined so you can find them and keep people fromn backing into that rock pile. I don't like using weed and grass killer to keep that area clean or using chemicals in general. Weed and grass killer is more efficient in keeping that gravel driveway and rock pile clear but I'll probably keep using the torch just because I don't like using chemicals.

To be honest though, with all the propane I use I'm not sure which way is better for the environment.

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I love my flame weeder. I use it in the rows and in difficult areas. Around your chain link is ideal. No need to constantly break string on your weed eater. you willlove it. Get a little trolly though. I have a back pack and it is a killer!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I bought my husband one last Christmas, paid about $60 for it. He has barely used it! Not nearly the awesome man-gift I thought it would be. :p But it has been useful for toasting grass/weeds that pop up in our gravel driveway. It sounds like a jet engine! I am a wee bit afraid of it. Ha. :hide

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
:thumbsup

Ah ha...DH's seldom used gift may just become my toy then. :D Now that's thinking outside of the box, RidgeBackRanch!

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
journey11 said:
I bought my husband one last Christmas, paid about $60 for it. He has barely used it! Not nearly the awesome man-gift I thought it would be. :p But it has been useful for toasting grass/weeds that pop up in our gravel driveway. It sounds like a jet engine! I am a wee bit afraid of it. Ha. :hide
I hate mine! I've only used it like twice because I'm afraid of it too! I like my weedeater just a little better, but only when it starts!

DigginWithJon

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I agree, not worth it, just get a weed wacker, you dont want the bottom of your fence to turn black from the propane.

Latest posts