Weeding Techniques

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Weeding is also getting rid of trash invasive trees, like Tree of Paradise, or that maple growing right under your fence!!
I have figured out that if you dig down about 4 inches, saw the sapling off under the soil level, and stuff in cardboard to fill the hole.
NO herbicides needed, and the cardboard both starves it of sunlight and decomposes.
I have done this many times. Just FYI...

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My fave weeding technique is getting kids to do it. 🤣
My favorite weeding technique other than finding someone else to do it is weeding while tanning in a lawn chair! I set up my last garden in such a way that I could position my lawn chair and weed the garden while laying out tanning! That was the best looking garden we ever had! I spent lots of time laying out in the sun and that equaled no weeds in my garden! It was amazing and I highly recommend it!

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My favorite weeding technique other than finding someone else to do it is weeding while tanning in a lawn chair! I set up my last garden in such a way that I could position my lawn chair and weed the garden while laying out tanning! That was the best looking garden we ever had! I spent lots of time laying out in the sun and that equaled no weeds in my garden! It was amazing and I highly recommend it!
Brilliant 👏 🤣

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
After a heavy rain is a Great time to weed, and early Spring is the best time to weed.
You need:
1) spade/shovel--TO DIG OUT DEEP ROOTS
2) hand rake
3) gardening seat and/or kneeling pad
4) cardboard and a razor--to shove down in the hole of saplings that you cut off below ground level, about 4 inches deep. If you put enough cardboard down the hole they Won't grow back
5) wheelbarrow
and
6) bucket

***Some weeds, like the runners for bindweed should go Straight into the trash. Any pieces will regrow in the lawn.
They go into the bucket.
***Some weeds will Also regrow if you leave them in the lawn, but they can be burned (at my place.)
They collect in the wheelbarrow to dry out and be burned.
***All the other weeds can be tossed into the lawn and become lawn fertilizer.
Any other collection methods are a waste of time.
I.M.H.O.

Last edited:

Latest posts