Weeds Galore. :(

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Doctor's orders! But doesn't he know that pulling weeds is therapeutic? ;)

I feel your pain. I am up to my eyeballs in weeds too. Definitely lost the battle this year. I am just comforting myself with the knowledge that October is on the way with frosts and hard freezes to wipe the slate clean again. *sigh*

Will you be healed up and ready to go back to work when school starts then?
Not so therapeutic after hernia repair. LOL
I can stand a few weeds but there are giant ones in there and I can not see my flowers at all. I just do not want hem to smother out all my hard work and worry getting the beds established. AND they are going to seed! If I do not get them out there will be MORE. :(

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Carol, are you predicted to get a bit of rain today, Friday? THEY have a chance of rain in our forecast, but the satellite photos don't seem very promising.
Some rain is predicted. Not holding my breath, Looks like it might miss us again here, too.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I get your frustration Carol Dee. When the beds are at their peak we want them to shine!
I regularly get a muck bucket or two of weeds (you know the ones that grow next to a plant and you don't notice until it's growing above the flower blooms?) and deadheads.
I just cleaned out the picket garden bed of volunteer Johnny jump Ups that I left to reseed, and found a lot of low growing weeds that looked like a ground cover.
"Hey! You're not a ground cover!" Yank! Felt so good. Now the real stuff can breathe. :D And I can sit out there and relax, not be poised to root out imposter's!

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
This might get me in trouble, weeds don't bother me, my flower beds are full of them, they make up half my lawn. Much easier to just accept them.
YES, the yard is more weed than grass. Creeping Charlie, plantain, clover. We let it go. It is GREEN! But they have TAKEN OVER the flower beds, I can not even see the HOSTA at all. They are so big, thick and dense. :(

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I get your frustration Carol Dee. When the beds are at their peak we want them to shine!
I regularly get a muck bucket or two of weeds (you know the ones that grow next to a plant and you don't notice until it's growing above the flower blooms?) and deadheads.
I just cleaned out the picket garden bed of volunteer Johnny jump Ups that I left to reseed, and found a lot of low growing weeds that looked like a ground cover.
"Hey! You're not a ground cover!" Yank! Felt so good. Now the real stuff can breathe. :D And I can sit out there and relax, not be poised to root out imposter's!
You are right, I can not sit ad enjoy the yard when I can not see anything but WEEDS> :( It is amazing how fast they can take over. :rant

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Some places, if not for the weeds, there would be no lawn at all.

Carol, what I learned to do during my years of muscle pain was to bring a small stool to sit on and cut -- rather than pull -- out the biggest weeds. The smaller ones were usually within my ability to pull.

This removes the seeding weed, but doesn't involve much more than a squeeze of the hand and the bed looks just as clean afterward as if you got all the roots. What I tell myself is that by the time the plants start going to seed, there is a good chance the root won't bother growing back for more seed.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Some places, if not for the weeds, there would be no lawn at all.

Carol, what I learned to do during my years of muscle pain was to bring a small stool to sit on and cut -- rather than pull -- out the biggest weeds. The smaller ones were usually within my ability to pull.

This removes the seeding weed, but doesn't involve much more than a squeeze of the hand and the bed looks just as clean afterward as if you got all the roots. What I tell myself is that by the time the plants start going to seed, there is a good chance the root won't bother growing back for more seed.
I will have to cut some of those big one off or dig! I hate leaving roots, fearing they will grow back like the TREES growing in there. ARGH :he

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
MORE weeds from the same flower beds. Now the wading pool is overflowing. Going to have to haul it all to the lot and compost pile. I feel I am getting a handle on it. Still some small stuff and stumps of lager ones. :(
001.JPG

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
That poor wagon has been around for years. It was out little boys and might have been a garage sale find then. ;)

Latest posts