Weeds/Garbage Bags

ThePigeonKid

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I was wondering if I could use black garbage bags to keep weeds out of the garden?

Gnome_Czech

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Under or over?

The commercial stuff they use to keep weeds out is porous so water can seep into the ground, garbage bags on top would keep the water from reaching the soil.

Under the bed, it would keep the soil too wet, I would think. I would use them before you gardden to kill large areas of weeds, but this would take a while. You can also use cardboard boxes.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
ThePigeonKid said:
I was wondering if I could use black garbage bags to keep weeds out of the garden?
They will deteriorate and make a mess. They may leach toxins into the soil. try cardboard or newspaper with a layer of grass clippings or leaves. I get leaves from a landscaper in the fall and use them all over my flower beds-they last almost until the next fall. You can also get grass clippings from a landscaper but I would not use them on vegetables-they probably are laden with toxins from lawn care products. I use my own grass clippings but I do not use toxins on my lawn. Clippings are the best for keeping down weeds. I use them in the hardest to weed veggies-onions carrots etc.

Latest posts