Weeds--How do you control them?

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I was at a fascinating organic growers meeting yesterday all about weeds. I'm sure this has been covered before, but we have so many new, enthusiastic members that I thought I would toss it out again.

1. What tools do you use for weeding?

2. What other materials do you use--like mulches, plastics, etc.?

3. What other methods have you heard of or used--like green manure, living pathways, and so on?

Thanks! Weeds: The only thing keeping me from having the garden I fantasize of each year when I'm planting into that wonderfully clear, brown soil :)

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Mulching and cursing! lol
I use wood mulch. We have an endless source of ground up trees so that's what i use. Have never had a problem with Ph or anything. This is not pine usually.

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
There is no such thing as a weed!... God made all plants to have a purpose...and the purpose of johnson grass is to drive me nuts...

I pull usually as soon as possible after it pops up trying to get all of the root... If I have a large area I want long range results I lay down brown paper grocery bags and top with shredded bark or buckwheat hulls or straw...

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hah! No such thing as a weed?!?

I was reminded yesterday of edible weeds like lamb's quarters. Last year, we had so many in the garlic bed that we made a nice big pot of them steamed. They were delicious!

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I mulch heavily with leaves and pine straw...we got lots of those materials and sometimes I like to rake (not too often tho). The biggest problem I have is with dewberries...no amount of mulch will wipe them out and they are impossible to pull up...come back every time. I have taken to just cutting them off at ground level with a shovel ever so often.

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I also enjoyed trying out the farmer's weed equipment yesterday. Diamondback hoes, stirrup hoes (awesome!!!), something they called "the mule": Like a hoe, only rounding up on the edges rather than flat and WAY denser. It convinced me that my basic junk from the local discount store is not going to cut it this year. I'm browsing through Johnny's and investing in some decent stuff. I figure weeding is the only thing keeping me from pure garden bliss. It will pay to get some good weed whacking tools.

homesteadmom

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
We try to pull them root & all before they seed. But we use them as a supplement to feed the cattle & our ram & the chickens too. In fact one area that was heavy with weeds last yr only has about 3 weeds growing there this yr! Even as pesky as they are we need them to feed the animals with as they eat less hay during weed season.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I am a heavy mulching person!!! I got red mulch over everything!

Makes it easier to pull the 5-6 weeds that make it through rather then 100 weeds. I don't want to use chemicals unless I have too... and NEVER around my veggies.

I haven't done this long, so I'm bound to figure out other things as well over time.

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
setter4 said:
Mulching and cursing! lol
I use wood mulch. We have an endless source of ground up trees so that's what i use. Have never had a problem with Ph or anything. This is not pine usually.
LOL! I use pine straw and leaves - and curse the bermuda grass that still invades EVERYTHING!!! :barnie

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
I also enjoyed trying out the farmer's weed equipment yesterday. Diamondback hoes, stirrup hoes (awesome!!!), something they called "the mule": Like a hoe, only rounding up on the edges rather than flat and WAY denser. It convinced me that my basic junk from the local discount store is not going to cut it this year. I'm browsing through Johnny's and investing in some decent stuff. I figure weeding is the only thing keeping me from pure garden bliss. It will pay to get some good weed whacking tools.
I have a co lineir hoe from Johnny's designed by elliot coleman you can hoe a row with out bending in half and breaking your back

Latest posts