Weeds in my yard

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
your other clover you mentioned could be alsike clover. it tends to be pink to reddish in color and the leaves are not marked.

oh, and something i recently read about those buttercups, they are closely related to delphinium/larkspur/monkshood and can contain a toxin that can make animals sick if ingested, and with people can cause the skin to blister if touched for too long. so you might want to remove them carefully if you have them around your yard or in a pasture for grazing animals. it seems the dried leaves and stems don't affect animals if it gets into their hay, just the fresh eaten form. http://museum.gov.ns.ca/poison/?section=species&id=111

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is an interesting website, Chickie'sMoma! And, it is a museum . . ? An easy to use search.

The Canadians have another useful poisonous plants website: www.cbif.gc.ca/pls/pp/poison?p_x=px

Something I got really tired of on BYC was the "Oh, chickens know better than to eat what isn't good for them!"

"Know better" what?? They are complete birdbrains. Yes, something may give them a bellyache and they may learn to not eat it after that. Something may not taste good. They will try to eat virtually anything! And -- if you pile a bunch of it in their pens and they have nothing better to do, don't be surprised it it "puts them off their feed" for a few days of runny green poop, or whatever. Eggs? Forget about those while they are in recovery.

Something about the Canadian federal natural resources pages is that they cite poisonings reported in academic journals. So, when someone says that they never have to worry about the nightshade weeds they throw to their chickens you can say, "Well, that wasn't the experience these people had."

Steve

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Chickie'sMomaInNH said:
your other clover you mentioned could be alsike clover. it tends to be pink to reddish in color and the leaves are not marked.

oh, and something i recently read about those buttercups, they are closely related to delphinium/larkspur/monkshood and can contain a toxin that can make animals sick if ingested, and with people can cause the skin to blister if touched for too long. so you might want to remove them carefully if you have them around your yard or in a pasture for grazing animals. it seems the dried leaves and stems don't affect animals if it gets into their hay, just the fresh eaten form. http://museum.gov.ns.ca/poison/?section=species&id=111
I looked it up and I do have alsike clover and I thought it was read, so I have white, red and alsike clover. The buttercups I will pull. I have a lot of odd weeds growing in an area that has 2 rows. I want to put a fence there. Once side has elderberry bushes and raspberries and further down the row plum trees and cherry bushes. The other side has flowers like hollyhocks, coneflowers and bee balm, so these weeds are growing in the middle. Thank you for the information!

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
digitS' said:
http://i44.tinypic.com/2w586mu.jpg

Coming closer?

http://www.nwcb.wa.gov/detail.asp?weed=121

I am discovering there is a broad family of cousins with multiple synonyms aaand male & female plants :rolleyes:.

Steve
who may still only be close
This really looks like it. I went out and felt of the stems to see if it had "hairy, jointed stems that can be spreading or nearly upright" and they do. I was going to take a picture of the tall ones on the fence, but this morning the flowers are open and they are yellow and a totally different plant. I see them growing across the alley, so they have spread over to this side. They smell good and look pretty next to the compost bin. Thank you! The information about the female flowers and all the seeds has me worried and I need to really get after these weeds.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
vfem said:
Enjoy the clover!!!

I keep ours around the grapes as it really seems to help them grow happy. Not mention that it keeps my yard heavy with honey bees who love them. Then... yes there is more greatness to clover... I pick the flower heads and seep to make a clover tea I turn into jelly!!! It tastes very much like clover honey and we LOVE it on toast!!!!

:D
I guess that is why the rabbits like it so much. I agree about the bees. I almost worry I have too many bees.The raspberries are alive with honey bees and I have a couple of comfrey plants covered in bees. A couple of years ago I was riding bikes with my kids and when we came home and rode up to the garage I noticed the smell. Our yard has an almost old fashion smell. Not sure how to describe it, but the bee balm is probably what is causing it, but you have to dodge bees around here.

Latest posts