Weedwacker

desertlady

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I dont see any difference, but its how you feel holding it ! You will have to move them sideways to cut the out of reach areas, So play it with and see wish you prefer!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
For me weight is more important than the shape. We bought a weed wacker on wheels that I like very much. It is not so good for small delicate jobs as it is quite powerful.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nyboy, I could only find a straight shaft 31cc weed wacker, locally.

The curved ones came with a smaller engine and I use a tiller attachment at times for mixing fertilizer into garden beds. It just seemed that I should go with the larger model.

For light work around the yard, my little electric one does a better job than the bigger gas trimmer.

Steve

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The straight shaft is the better choice. It has a solid drive shaft from the engine down to a gear box, through a set of gears that drive the shaft your cutting head attaches onto.
The curved shaft has a flexible drive shaft, a cable of sorts except it's very stiff, that is held inside a curved tube. Your cutting head attaches to this flexible shaft.
The straight shaft is the commercial version of the weed wackers.

THANX RICH

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
I prefer the curved shaft type. I bought a new straight shaft last year, and I don't like its much as the curved. I guess I just need to get used to it.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah, what Dickie said...

22 years ago I received a weed whacker for Christmas, a Stihl FS66. Not their biggest one, but it has been worked hundreds and hundreds of hours and still starts with two pulls. All that's ever been done to it is a new fuel tank and a carburetor.

If you are thinking that this is a tool you'll be spending a lot of time with, I recommend getting a high quality one.

Oh yeah, and mine is a straight shaft. :)

Latest posts