Weekend Guests Want To Make Pumpkin Pie

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Have friends from the city coming up for weekend ( I stocked my bar) They want to go to a farmers market get fresh pumpkins and make pies. My kitchen is a dream kitchen compared to the shoe box city kitchen they have. How many pumpkins a pie , want to make at least 4 pies. How does one freeze pies. Any tips
Most pies call for 1 16 oz. can. I always go over the top and make deep dish doubling it to 32 oz. You can use most pumpkins but the small sugar are supposed to bee the best. I like the ones that look like cinderella's pumpkins which have many differs names. I grow rumbo. Cut up and boil the pumpkins until soft. Let cool enough to handle and scoop the pumpkin out of the shell. You could peel them first if you want but I find this quicker and easier. The big thing is to let the pumpkin drain well to get rid of excess moisture. I whip it in the food processor and then drain again. I spread out large coffee filters in a sieve and drain again. Freezing the measured prepared pumpkin also helps the water to separate when it thaws. I have the busy pumpkin recipe in the world. I am going out and will try to remember to post it tomorrow. And NYB...your friends are doing the cooking? I don't know about freezing a pumpkin pie. I think they would not do well.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Most pumpkin pie filling isn't really pumpkin at all but butternut squash. I can see why....VERY sweet and silky when cooked. They likely won't find a pie pumpkin that is that sweet at the farmer's market and, I must say, the smell of pumpkin cooking makes me gag....big time. It's horrid!

Tell them to make a "pumpkin" pie out of butternut squash instead for a better taste and quicker cook down. ;) City folks..... :caf ....always amusing.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/18500/better-than-pumpkin-pie/

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am sore today :hit:hit Takeing afternoon off and picking up friends at train station 12:30 they both drive I filled the back seat with pillows and rest there. My friend Kristine's daughter manages a orchard in Fishkill with a great market store. most things for sale are from the orchard anything not is labeled all local farms. Planning on picking up everything we need there. Will get a few butter nuts and some canned libbys :hide Really looking forward to there visit.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cathy's famous pumpkin pie

piecrust--homemade of course

2 cups prepared pumpkin or 1 can
1 13 ounce can evaporated milk (I have used rice milk with good results as I am dairy free)
2 eggs
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar I usually used all brown)
1 1/2 teasp cinnamon
1/2 ginger
1/2 reap nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/ teas ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt

cook empty crust at 350 degrees for 10 minutes
mix all ingredients with mixer or food processor
pour into pie shell
bake 15 minutes at 425 degrees
bake 35 minutes more at 359 degrees or until set when you shake pie a bit or put a knife i the middle until it comes out clean.

I double this recipe into a bigger pan and cook any extra filling inn the side without a crust, like a pudding. Of course the bake time is much longer. It helps satisfy while you are trying not to eat the pie before the guests arrive.

Latest posts