Weird Corn Leaves...UPDATED WITH PICS.

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Well,

I planted some Silver Queen corn this year and while thinning today, I noticed one oddball plant. Instead of just the usual green leaves, this one has yellow stripes on it. At first I thought it was just dying or something, and the leaves were turning yellow, but these are actual stripes down the leaves, they are straight lines. My grandma was joking and said maybe I got a bicolored kernel, but I really dont know what it is! I've never seen striped corn leaves before! Does anyone know what this might be? I dont have a picture, but I can take one on Monday.

Thanks,
Jordan

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks, Blue! That really helped.

Haha, Aqua. That would be cool.

There have been suggestions, however, that the striping may result from very rapid growth during a warm period that follows slower growth during a cooler period.
That has been happening here a lot. My tomatoes I planted earlier never got over a foot tall, the weather was all out of whack. We had 105, and then within a week it was down to the 70's. Well, I left it anyways just to see what happens.

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Here are the images I took...

003-7.jpg

And a normal plant next to the striped one.

004-8.jpg

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Ann, I sure hope it isnt! I dont notice it spreading on any of the plants, this is my first year with corn so I hope it doesnt all get ruined.

Silkie, that is good to hear. I really hope it doesnt affect anything. Thank You.

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I don't really know what it is either, but I've only seen it on the silver queen variety. I'm rather limited and only on lucky years do I get silver queen to mature though. Most of the stuff I plant are the duller early season stuff.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I know that magnesium and nitrogen deficiencies in soil and cause striping in corn. My best guess since other plants are not being affected would be just a gene fluke.

However, should the tips of the striped blades begin to turn purple or red then it is a definite magnesium deficiency. If the continue to stripe and the outer part of the blades look red tinged than probably a nitrogen deficiency. By the looks of the sandy soil, you may have an issue with holding nutrients in the soil, IME. Although this is hard to say since 1. the plants look very healthy overall and 2. it's only affecting one plant.

In my experience with corn most diseased plants would result in more discoloration leading to either spots in the plant or the plant drying out partly or entirely. This doesn't seem to be the case.

Has the growth been stunted at all? Are the new leaves yellow striped as they come out or do they turn yellow over time?

Latest posts