Weird Corn Leaves...UPDATED WITH PICS.

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Silkie, this is my first year with Corn, and my grandma told me to get Silver Queen. It sure is interesting!

Thanks, OCF. I havent noticed any other odd coloring, just the stripes! The soil is extremely sandy, and I know that might not be the best, but we didnt have a chance to do much as we just decided to do this garden a little over a month ago,lol. Yeah, this is just a mystery plant I guess, its throwin me off! The growth hasnt been stunted that I can tell, but now that you ask I dont remember! I believe they are striped when they appear, but I'll have to check on Friday to be sure. Im only able to go out there every other day, so its hard to check at the moment, but I will on Friday. Thanks for the help.

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You'll have no problem getting wonderful sweet silver corn ears to eat in my guess, august. Being in cali, you got that required heat. Soil temps here are back in the 50's again.... Poor seeds are all rotting, I just know it.

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I hope its grows well, Silkie. This is my first year growing Corn, so Im kinda just doing whatever,lol. That really stinks though, I hope your garden does well.

Are the new leaves yellow striped as they come out or do they turn yellow over time?
I checked the plants yesterday and noticed that the new leaf coming on was solid green, so I think they are striping AFTER the leaf appears.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
theOEGBman said:
Are the new leaves yellow striped as they come out or do they turn yellow over time?
I checked the plants yesterday and noticed that the new leaf coming on was solid green, so I think they are striping AFTER the leaf appears.
This may be a sign of nutrient deficiency then. Especially if the leaves are emerging green and then turning striped. I wouldn't do much more than adding some compost as a side dressing and letting things go. If other plants aren't being affected that's good but a little compost could help. Corn is a heavy nitrogen feeder. :D

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
OaklandCityFarmer said:
theOEGBman said:
This may be a sign of nutrient deficiency then. Especially if the leaves are emerging green and then turning striped. I wouldn't do much more than adding some compost as a side dressing and letting things go. If other plants aren't being affected that's good but a little compost could help. Corn is a heavy nitrogen feeder. :D
Yeah, I just think its so odd that its only affecting this one plant! I just noticed something yesterday that I thought I should add. I planted beans along 4 of my 8 rows of Corn, and this plant has a bean plant next to it. The leaves on the bean plant are showing a yellow tint to them, instead of being dark green like the rest. Could it be a spot in the soil where both of these plants are? Its just really odd!

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
This is really odd.

If the bean is turning yellow as well I doubt this is a nitrogen deficiency. Perhaps a magnesium one.

Nematodes might be a problem also?

I'm really stuck on this one.

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
OaklandCityFarmer, you're up early/late, too, I see!

There may be a good reason for it, or maybe it will defy an answer.

My mother had a small area in her yard that nothing would grow in one day, and it was never dx'd. Not that there wasn't a logical reason somewhere, but they, or anyone else called, couldn't find it over the years. They finally put a bench and garden statue there.

If you don't discover what it is, I'd mark the area with thin metal pipes or something, so you'll remember where it is next season.

I hope you do figure it out, though. Mysteries can be frustrating!

Good luck!

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Oakland, Im totally lost as well! I know this is a dumb question, but what is a Nematode? lol

Tutter, its just one LITTLE spot, that is what is throwing me off. Its seriously, not even 1ft X 1 ft! I really dont know what it is, but Im keeping watch on it. This mystery is really frustrating, LOL.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
theOEGBman said:
Oakland, Im totally lost as well! I know this is a dumb question, but what is a Nematode? lol
In gardening nematodes are microscopic "worm" like organisms living in soil. Many nematodes can cause a lot of damage to plant roots or stems. Some nematodes living within the plant and others just feed of nutrients that they extract from the plants. Either way, they do just that, rob the plants of nutrients, not always damaging it but if there is a large infestation then it could really hurt plants.

There are also commercially available beneficial nematodes that help counter the "bad" nematodes.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If there is a pale-leafed bean plant more or less right next to the stripey corn plant, I would wonder about a very localized anomaly of either a) soil nutrient content or b) soil pesticide content. I wonder whether something may have been spilled or buried there, at some point in the past. Excesses of certain nutrients can cause symptoms of deficiency in others.

Or, it's a virus. Or, aliens have been visiting your veg garden. Or, you're just going crazy. Take your pick :)

Pat

Latest posts