WEIRD EGGS found in compost-what are they??

chixluvdirt

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
HELP identify these weird eggs please- I'll try and get a photo, but here is the descrition:

Football shaped clear eggs about the size of a small Vit E pill- all strung end to end like a string of beads. They were lying on top of my compost heap that is a container- so it has a lid and is very dark and warm inside- it also has lots of 1/4" air holes - so anything could possibly come and go, but would have to be able to fit inside a 1/4" hole. I held one of these up to the light and looked at it with a magnifying glass and could see a tiny embryo inside at the very early stage-
Any ideas???

chixluvdirt

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
6628_compost_eggs.jpg

Here is a photo of them. Anyone know what these are??

beavis

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I searched and came up with someone with a similar description:

Small clear round eggs?
After lifting my garden refuse bag, I found little clear eggs, just larger than half a centremetre in diameter. The eggs are slightly squishy, and feel rubbery to the touch.
Does anyone know what they could be? They are completely clear, with no sign of life. Maybe something will develop later?
Any ideas appreciated. I will keep an eye on them and hope the kids don't find them.
Answer was:

Snail or slug is most likely.
So I would suggest you remove them or feed them to pond fish if you have them.

chixluvdirt

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks, but I don't think its snail eggs- I've seen those before- these are much bigger and are football shapes - not round. They are strung together end to end- snail eggs are individual. These are more like a frog- or toad- only it's not because those are in water.

chixluvdirt

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks again - I think they are slug eggs- Ugghh!! Someone on backyard chicken showed me and I'm pretty sure its the same thing- darn - I was hoping for something fun to hatch- like cute little lizards or frogs :lol:

OldGuy43

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
OldGal thinks they're snake eggs. Seems likely to me since a compost heap is warm. That's what snakes look for when laying since they just lay and go. To small and thin shelled for turtle eggs.

chixluvdirt

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks Oldguy- but unfortunately, they are slug eggs :( I looked it up, and yep- exactly what I have or should say had, since I threw them out for the birds. Slugs are something I definitely don't need more of :lol:

OldGuy43

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
How embarrassing! Oh well, I can't always be right. At least we tried.

Know what you mean about slugs. For us it's snails. Found some stuff that works really well for them:
http://www.biconet.com/crawlers/sluggo.html
It seems kind of expensive until you realize that it takes very little to do the job. It's actually cheaper, easier and more effective than beer traps.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Snails are also a big problem here in SoCal. Mine used to be kept under control by alligator lizards but the stray cats have about wiped those out in my garden. I'm told the local snails are the kind used for escargot but I never tried eating them. From what I've read getting them ready to eat is a long complicated process.

OldGuy43

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
hoodat said:
Snails are also a big problem here in SoCal. Mine used to be kept under control by alligator lizards but the stray cats have about wiped those out in my garden. I'm told the local snails are the kind used for escargot but I never tried eating them. From what I've read getting them ready to eat is a long complicated process.
You may find this of interest if you like escargot.
http://healthyhomegardening.com/Techniques.php?pid=26
Doesn't look to bad, unlike the preparation instructions I found elsewhere.

Latest posts