well, not much gardening but here's the animals!

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
well, after getting what looks to be another foot of snow in our neck of the woods, not much outdoor gardening is taking place right now. i do have some onions, leeks, asparagus, celery, and artichokes started in the house. outside the chickens are strutting comfortably in their recently cleaned out coop. they won't set a foot outside right now in the snow. :rolleyes: spoiled birdies.

i have bantam Faverolles, LF faverolles, bantam cochins, a few Faveolles/Cochin crosses, Momo the D'uccle roo, Kit Kat the silkie roo (who is too shy to mate the girls), and 2 peahens that i'm still trying to figure out their color so i know what colored male to pair them with. oh and Chickie the polish roo who is currently being pampered in the house because he got into trouble again with my other roos. :rolleyes:

here's their coop with my garden just in front and off to the left in the pic. right now there are 14 types of garlic under all that snow! the siding is still a work in progress, i have 2 out of 4 sides done in cedar shingles. the rest will have to wait till spring. the scrub and trees in the background will eventually be thinned out and my fruit trees and garden expanded. we're all on one cozy acre bordering the agricultural zoned area in Rochester, NH!
6704_1coopfeb-24-2013.jpg

about another 6 inches fell after i took this pic this morning.
my crazy LF frizzled Faverolles (cross?) roo Jet with a few of his girlfriends. Jet's the 2nd in charge, the 1st being my bantam cochin Sunny. (they decided to crowd the door and then took a second look at all the white stuff outside) :lol:
6704_jetdagangfeb2013-01.jpg

Jet's son with my blue beardless Faverolles hen Miss Kit. his name is Spicey Boi and he just turned 6 months old and looks to be bigger than his dad. Spicey got all the looks of a Faverolles but a little bit of wattles showing.
6704_spiceyboifeb2013-03.jpg

Spicey Boi's half sister Sugar. not sure who mom is but i have my feelings it could be one of my smaller white faverolles hens that is missing her 5th toes.
6704_sugarfeb2013-02.jpg

Sunny the cochin, my head bantam rooster with Ollie the F/C cross, either Mosey or Zeus the Faverolles roo and a bunch of my girls.
6704_sunnydagangfeb2013-01.jpg

Momo the splash D'uccle, who is the feisty boy i have to keep an eye on or her will challenge my hand. such a pretty boy but such a pain in the.....um....hand
6704_momofeb2013-01.jpg

Big Moma Fay, my LF black Faverolles hen who is the Queen of the coop and the big squawker when i'm around.
6704_bigmomafayfeb2013.jpg

and the 2 Peas in the Pod-no names yet
6704_peafeb2013-02.jpg

6704_peafeb2013-01.jpg

well, i probably should run outside and take care of moving that snow around. i'd rather be dancing in the :rose than playing in this snow right now.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is your new place right Chickie? It looks like you have it shaping up nicely. Your snowy scene looks very familiar!
You have some nice birds there, they look content to be indoors. What are your plans for the peafowl? Are they going to be ornamental, or do you hope to breed them?

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
yep, this is the new place. i was hoping one was going to be the male but it appears they are both hens. so until i can find a male locally for them they will have to be ornamental. they are only 2 years old so they are not laying eggs yet. but i have been getting flashes of their tails like they are displaying males (yes, the hens will also try and display) :lol:

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Pretty pictures! What nice birds you have. They are smart too, stay in where it is nice and comfortable for them!

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
thanks! though i probably need to rescue one of my little moma hens from those energetic boys soon. little Boof's gone bald on both her head and backside from all their loving. she's the easiest to catch because she limps from an injury from a predator attack. she's been able to survive spring time by going broody the past 2 years. she usually does it once she's gone bald this late in the winter so i am watching for her signs if she will try and set eggs soon. :p i need to find my hen saddles so she'll be protected.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yea, those really are beautiful! I'm learning about them even though I can't have any. I'm really like those rare and exotic ones mostly for beauty. They lay eggs. Maybe not as many as the egg layer breeds, but one every other day or a bit less is plenty, plus some lay really cool eggs!

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Those are really nice thank you for sharing! I have always like the Faverolles

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Aww... they are all so pretty. I especially think Jet is handsome! :D