Went Dog "Shopping" Today

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Without my DH's knowledge, I went to the Humane society to check out their dogs. I am thinking I will have to just get one, and present it to him. "Here. Here's a dog. It's yours." He keeps saying he doesn't want a dog, but I seriously think a dog would help bring him out of his depression of nearly 3 years. He loves other people's dogs. Just doesn't want any responsibility. Or thinks he doesn't. I'm conflicted, and running on instinct about this.
So, Most of the dogs were big and loud. Some were pretty vicious looking. One little black one stood out. No info on her yet, as she is a stray, and it will be next Wednesday before she is ready for consideration of adoption. She has sort of a pug face, and long mostly black hair. Maybe 15 pounds. Didn't bark at me.
I hope she doesn't test positive for heart worms. They are so common along the river, where she was probably picked up. Cape Girardeau is on the Mississippi River. Lots of sloughs and mosquito hotels.
So, we'll see. Do you think this is a terrible idea?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think it's a wonderful idea So Lucky. Your prospective dog sounds cute. Most of my animals just sort of came home with me, and dh who is good natured about it all just sort of sighs. :)

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
have you looked at petfinder.com in your area ...?
i am no doctor phil, but you might let him pick out his own dog or pet. depression sucks dont ask me how i know.........

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
The thing is, if I leave it up to him, it won't happen. The little black one is about 1.5 years, they said.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
they would ask you if you are getting this pet for yourself or with your family. most humane societies in my area want to meet with everyone in the house that needs to interact with the dog. i'm sure you could put the 'bug' in his ear that you are thinking about getting a new addition to the family and he may be interested.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not to make it sound like dogs are disposable , but most humane societies will take dog back if it doesn't work out. My older sister wanted a dog, her husband never had one and said no dogs. I gave her a puppy from a litter I had, her husband yelled and carried on. 7 years later it is "his" dog.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
many of my clients have therapy dogs. More and more studies are beaning done about dogs helping with depression. Is dog trained at all, did you walk it on a leash? Your best friend when getting anew dog is a crate.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
said it was a stray and not much info yet on the pooch. but here's hoping they will have more info soon. @so lucky will they allow you to be put on a list of possible adopters?

Latest posts