Went to pick a watermelon.....yeah right *pics*

sparkles2307

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
thistlebloom said:
Aww, too bad Jared! Yours are way farther along than mine, I just have blooms, so I'm not expecting any melons for summer picnics :( .
Hopefully you'll have lots more .
My golden midgets are only 2 inches in diameter, very disappointing

hangin'witthepeeps

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks for this post, it reminds me to go and check on mine. Now if I can just figure out where they are under all the grass, lol. I have really let mine go in all this heat.

topotheridge

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
That happened to us last year. Grew yellow melons, we :he waited and waited, only the last one was edible but it was well into fall, don't think we will be doing watermelon again, too much space, not much return. :hu

hangin'witthepeeps

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I picked mine last night, not impressed. They were ripe and not sweet. Oh well, I will not attempt watermelon again. It's just not worth it for me. Especially when my neighbor goes to Florida ever other weekend to pick watermelons and has a flatbed load of them for $4 or $5 a piece. Huge watermelons that we eat on for 3 or 4 days.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
When you knock on the melon with your knuckles it will have a hollow sound when ripe. It should fall of the stem also. Watch out for mice eating out the inside from underneath.I place all melons on top of an inverted plant pot to avoid this. Lifting it into the sun on the pots will help to sweeten the fruit.

Latest posts