West Virginia Count Down!

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
MY DH is currently a cable installer and would very gladly shovel horse poo for a living instead. He's got an apprentice electrician license but no one willing to give him the hours to get his journeyman, so he's kinda stuck.

I have seen a lot of free gas properties for sale, but only one or two that mention mineral rights. I didn't realize they went with the property.

What is the difference between mining culture and river culture? I spent some time in Elkins and some time in Richwood, and everyone I met there seemed like nice, normal people. :) By the way, how's the coffee there?

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
We usually stop in Elkins to eat on the way back from camping in Seneca State Forest. It is the first real sign of civilization. :D And really close to some of the most beautiful areas of the state.

LOL, I have to buy coffee online if I want the really good stuff. I'm sure there must be a decent coffee shop (NOT the gambling kind... :\ ) somewhere in this state. We had one in my hometown briefly, but it wasn't able to stay afloat. I worked as a barista in college, so I am very picky about my coffee. :)

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
They have gambling coffee shops? Could be worse. Half the coffee shops here are "Bikini baristas" and some of the outfits leave the girls practically naked. Don't like the idea of hair from certain parts of the body falling in my drink.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
:sick Yeah really!

I think they serve coffee instead of beer and liquor. It's that video game kind of gambling. Tax revenue for the cities. :rolleyes:

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
MY DH is currently a cable installer and would very gladly shovel horse poo for a living instead. He's got an apprentice electrician license but no one willing to give him the hours to get his journeyman, so he's kinda stuck.

I have seen a lot of free gas properties for sale, but only one or two that mention mineral rights. I didn't realize they went with the property.

What is the difference between mining culture and river culture? I spent some time in Elkins and some time in Richwood, and everyone I met there seemed like nice, normal people. :) By the way, how's the coffee there?

It's not something I can adequately describe but it's sort of like the difference between south and north, more of a feeling than a clear demarcation of culture....coal culture is more insular and closed in, very much about keeping outsiders out, very set in their ways and don't much like change. They are very into your business and feel they can put pressure on you to conform to community norms. Friendly, but more reserved and suspicious of strangers.

River culture is more open to new things and people, they have a more relaxed way of doing things and don't get wound up so much in what their neighbor is doing, nor do they care much who comes and goes in the community, as long as everyone is having a good time. You'll find them having more festivals and their festivals have more variety than do the festivals held in coal/mountain country.

The best coffee to be found will be in tiny, greasy spoon kind of Mom and Pop diners. There aren't many places fully devoted to coffee as most folks just take it with or without cream and sugar and are not much into frappa or mocha or latte kind of things messing up their coffee. To mountain folks that ain't coffee, that's a milkshake with coffee flavoring. ;)

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Coffee.....demitasse anyone? In Louisiana, a demitasse cup of coffee has chicory in it, is strong, black, and will float a horseshoe. Good stuff.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's not something I can adequately describe but it's sort of like the difference between south and north, more of a feeling than a clear demarcation of culture....coal culture is more insular and closed in, very much about keeping outsiders out, very set in their ways and don't much like change. They are very into your business and feel they can put pressure on you to conform to community norms. Friendly, but more reserved and suspicious of strangers.

River culture is more open to new things and people, they have a more relaxed way of doing things and don't get wound up so much in what their neighbor is doing, nor do they care much who comes and goes in the community, as long as everyone is having a good time. You'll find them having more festivals and their festivals have more variety than do the festivals held in coal/mountain country.

Woah...my grandpa is coal culture. You totally just described him to a T.

It sounds like I'd prefer to live in the river culture area, near a greasy spoon diner. I don't mind if it is just milk and sugar as long as the coffee doesn't taste like burnt peanuts!

Coffee.....demitasse anyone? In Louisiana, a demitasse cup of coffee has chicory in it, is strong, black, and will float a horseshoe. Good stuff.

@baymule , that sounds delicious!

Thanks so much you guys for telling me all of this. You've really given me a lot to think about and what to consider when moving.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thought I'd dust this off and post an update. :)

My husband lost his job a couple of months ago, and we ended up using almost all of our savings while he found a new one. -.- He did find a new one, which is very nice, and looking for a higher paying one, but we are back to square one. I'll update this one again when we reorganize our plans and figure out how much his time off will delay us. I'm just glad we didn't get behind on bills. :)

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sorry about your delay, but it's a blessing that you had a cushion put away so you at least didn't get behind. I'm sure it's a little frustrating to put your dreams on hold for awhile, but the good thing is that you are still young enough to bounce back and see it happen. Best wishes for your dh to get a job with more potential and hoping with you that you achieve your goal. :)