What a Lazy Gardener Would Do

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Some places still use plows like this -- only ganged together to plow wider swaths at one time. Since they turn over a lot of soil at one pass, they require a lot of tractor power. I've seldom seen more than a seven unit plow.

Most around here use harrow plows. They don't turn the soil nearly as much as cut the crop stubble and roots to smooth and prepare the ground for planting. Because they don't turn as much soil, they are better at erosion control. Our County agriculture extension is very much down on old-fashion plowing without a really good reason.

What's a really good reason? Our back field used to be alfalfa that was being overgrown with small junk trees. A neighboring farmer rented the land and paid to have the trees uprooted and removed. Still, there were a lot of roots still sticking up in the ground that were not removed. Rather than risk damaging his harrow plow, the farmer used a gang-plow. Then he went through the land picking up the many roots that came up with the plowing.

Because using anything other than a harrow plow would affect his government program payments and insurance, he had the rental contract written in his son's name -- his son wasn't a part of any farm program. Now that several years have passed and the roots have decayed away, he uses his harrow plow for any plowing needed.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
My Kubota doesn't go that fast. Now I feel cheated.........Baymule goes out in dark to console Marigold and tell her that she is the #1 tractor in her life.....

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Row Builder.

All beyond my pay grade ;).

Steve

(((Sigh))) My life would be so much better with a tractor! And I could sure use about 3 or 4 more eager helpers too, but that's not in my budget either. :idunno

The dog eating a carrot was the best part!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
You can't believe the Government gives orders? That I can't believe. I'll bet there are plenty of Governmental orders you are required to follow at your establishment.

I suppose "The Greater Good" is less soil erosion. After having lost so much of our topsoil, there is an effort to keep what is left as well as to slow the movement of fertilizers into our waterways. It actually makes good sense to keep the soil unplowed for most applications.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
In Cal. , One of my neighbors owns 240 acrea that he grows winter wheat as this is the best crop to raise for the soils of this farm. Every spring, he discs all of the acreage, plants the wheat, after it grows to 6" he has a crop duster spray for fungus. When the wheat grows to 1' he discs ONE HALF under, alternating the sides every year. He follows the government rules to receive a subsidy.

Latest posts