What a Way to die !

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
wow, 2nd time to happen in a year in that area. think it's time to get a better ventilation system on those pits or better yet, don't put equipment anywhere near where the pits are. i feel very sorry for the families.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Nyboy, I am so sorry! I put your adventure into pie making together with your thread title and figured you had poisoned friend once again. It just was the first thing to pop into my head. Totally out of my conscious control. I guess a reputation like that is going to be hard to put behind you.

There are a lot of dangerous places and things on the farm. Silos and manure pits are only a small part. You would think after all these years farmers would think twice (or more times) before being around areas like those without failsafe protection.

How sad for the families to lose father and son in that way. All the what ifs and could haves that will haunt them for years. Still, not all that bad a way to die, Nyboy. Getting past the manure part, death was quick and painless. I would not mind being composted after I'm gone. Whatever I can do to help the Earth grow beats being stuck in a concrete box of use to no one or nothing.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Many years ago a family here lost Dad and all the sons in one manure pit tragedy. I think there where 2 or 3 boys. One went down and in trying to help each other they all died. Very tragic. Then about 4 or 5 years ago and elderly farmer I have know since childhood died in a grain bin, trying to get the corn to flow he got caught an pulled under. Not a way to go for sure. :(

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I agree with Red. There are a lot of places on a farm that are high in risk, not just silos and manure pits. Think of the heavy machinery often involved. Several decades back an elderly neighbor was run over by a mowing machine due to his carelessness. Although he was beat up he was not seriously injured. Some work can be at heights. A lot of places can be pretty slick which can lead to falls. There are lots of opportunities for serious injury and no formal training to warn people about the risks or proper techniques. Farming usually ranks really high on the "most dangerous jobs" list. It's #9 on the first list I googled and #8 on the second.

I also agree on not being stuck in an airtight metal or wooden box stuffed full of chemicals top preserve me and that airtight box put into another concrete box to preserve the first box. Turn me into ashes and scatter me somewhere, preferably where it's open. I'm a bit claustrophobic. I realize that when I'm gone I really won't care what happens to my body but everything that happens then is for the living. Still, I'd like to have some input.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I agree with Red. There are a lot of places on a farm that are high in risk, not just silos and manure pits. Think of the heavy machinery often involved. Several decades back an elderly neighbor was run over by a mowing machine due to his carelessness. Although he was beat up he was not seriously injured. Some work can be at heights. A lot of places can be pretty slick which can lead to falls. There are lots of opportunities for serious injury and no formal training to warn people about the risks or proper techniques. Farming usually ranks really high on the "most dangerous jobs" list. It's #9 on the first list I googled and #8 on the second.

I also agree on not being stuck in an airtight metal or wooden box stuffed full of chemicals top preserve me and that airtight box put into another concrete box to preserve the first box. Turn me into ashes and scatter me somewhere, preferably where it's open. I'm a bit claustrophobic. I realize that when I'm gone I really won't care what happens to my body but everything that happens then is for the living. Still, I'd like to have some input.
@Ridgerunner be sure your family knows your wishes. DH says the same, Ashes, no burial.
Other farm tragedies around here have been lost arms from corn picker heads . TWO that I personally knew. One young guy, in his 20's an older farmer in his 60's. A town just over in IL had 2 teens die in a grain bin on the job 5 years ago. SIL's cousin got arm caught in auger and broke it up badly. A grandfather and grandson both killed in tractor roll over accident next town over. Same stretch of road several years apart. :(
Schools in rural areas push farm safety. There are lots of special days each year set aside to try and teach the public. Still accidents happen and they are tragic.

Latest posts