What about Burpee?

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've tried them but don't have anything good or bad to say. I use lilly miller and ed hume as they are easy to get and cheap. Then again, I don't try to grow hard things. Just easy staples like tomatoes, beans, peas, corn and so on.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Joan, Burpee is one of the great old American seed companies. George Ball took control about 10 years ago, I guess. At one time, the Ball Seed Company was something like the largest seed wholesale outfit in the world.

I don't think you could go far wrong with Burpee. They've got lots of nice varieties and new stuff every year. And, Burpee's got my Honey Girl Charentais melon seed! :ya

Steve
:tools

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
They're big and have been around forever, and do as good customer service as anywhere else. They don't have the greatest selection, esp. of o/p things, but if they have what you want and are the kind of seed co. you are looking for then by all means order from them.

Pat

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That's good to hear because I bought some at our nursery in town. They seemed to have a good variety. I bought the standard - squash, snap beans, cuccumbers. (I can't remember what kind)
I also bought herbs - I'm really looking forward to growing and using them - Cilantro (for my salsa) Dill, Balm Lemon (for my tea) Oregano. I also have peppermint that is still growing in the garden now.

I certainly don't want to rush into spring since we haven't had much of a winter here, and it looks like we won't. Cold weather would be nice right now!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Joan, at this time in my herbal tea drinkin' life, lemon verbena is the only herb I'm enjoying au naturel.

I've had lemon balm for a number of years and actually had lemon verbena for a couple years before I tried it in tea.

The other herbs in my stash are all just a little better mixed with something else. And, the "something else" can be lemon verbena but that one is just fine by itself.

Steve
I think I'll go brew a cup right now :) .

jc12551

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I love Burpee. I even fell asleep last night with their new catalog under my pillow! They have great customer service but are a bit pricey. They develop loads of new varieties on an annual basis. I can't wait to plant these new tomatoes-Italian Ice-that are white and a new hot pepper called Zavory. I tend to buy Burpee at my local store over other brands. Last year I had from Burpee-Mammoth Basil, Sweet Mix Bells, Parade scallions, Heatwave tomatoes, Spacemaster cukes, and Heatwave Lettuce (I had that with supper tonight). I also buy from Ferry-Morse with good results.

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I started with Burpee seeds when I was a kid. They were cheap, sold from the grocery store racks, and easy to grow.

The older I get, the more I'd rather have some varieties I can't buy in a grocery store, with more interesting flavors. Also, my household is just me, DH and the chickens, and there is a very real limit to how much fresh produce we can use--a super-productive tomato or greenbean is more of a headache to me than an asset, because they drown me in food to the point that I can't give it away. I'd rather have 50 lbs. of rare potatoes that have unique flavor and good keeping qualities than 200 lbs. of russets that will sprout if I don't use 'em in a few months.

Burpee varieties tend to be very reliable, though, in my experience. I mean, when I was about six, I planted these veggies in completely un-amended soil in the side yard, just dug up a patch of sod and planted them, and got more tomatoes, parsley and greenbeans than you could shake a stick at--also flowers, cukes, carrots, can't remember what all. I wasn't real diligent about weeding or watering when I was six, either. So if you want something low-maintenance, easy as pie, and you really will be heartbroken if parts of your garden don't work for whatever reason, I would go with Burpee varieties.

I'm just saying, when I was putting in my orchard, I had a couple of co-workers tell me that I shouldn't because I would be drowned in fruit and then I'd have to deal with all the windfall slime on the yard, clouds of wasps, etc. They had only ever had the commercialized varieties available through Burpee, and couldn't deal with that kind of hyper-productivity; they didn't know there were other varieties that were less productive and would only produce about as much fruit as I could use. OTOH, my persnickety varieties do need a little more TLC and sometimes fail entirely, so I resign myself to hit-and-miss gardening.

It's up to you, your experience level, what you have time to do, what you're interested in, how many mouths you are feeding with your garden.

Latest posts