What about ivy?

PunkinPeep

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have some very healthy cuttings from my mil's plant, which i think is Scindapsus aureus.

It's doing wonderfully in my kitchen window, and since the english garden/shade garden appeals to me, i'm thinking about planting it outside in some places that need something to make them a little easier on the eye.

But no one ever talks about this plant outside.

Why not?

sunstar

Leafing Out
Reaction score
PunkinPeep said:
I have some very healthy cuttings from my mil's plant, which i think is Scindapsus aureus.

It's doing wonderfully in my kitchen window, and since the english garden/shade garden appeals to me, i'm thinking about planting it outside in some places that need something to make them a little easier on the eye.

But no one ever talks about this plant outside.

Why not?
I think mainly because people think pathos as an indoor plant.
I do like your idea of planting it outside in the right zones, here it would freeze during the winter. but in temperate climates it would look beautiful outside.
I can see it climbing up a trellis or lattice work fence and looking beautiful, especially if you mixed the varigated and the true green and let them climb together.

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Here is a picture of mine.
It is growing up my grapefruit tree.
Last winter it froze and I thought she was a goner.
But it grew back nice.

100_7646.jpg

Joe

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm afraid a pothos would freeze to death here....I know the English ivy stuff does ok tho I have heard it's pretty invasive. But I say give the pothos a try - worst it could do is croak and ivy's are pretty easy to replace and you will have learned something new. If it survives then you have a nice area and STILL have learned something. Either way it's a win-win situation :)

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Cristal I was thinking the same way, what is there to lose?

It will take a while for it to grow up tree!

I would get a bunch of starts going inside over the winter then in spring plant them all around the base of a large Oak.
Some will grow away from the tree and a few will go up the tree.
I have tried to make them grow up the trees but it don't work. If the plant grows from the ground to the tree it will grow roots that hang onto the bark as it gets higher up it gets bigger and bigger and sends down aerial roots to the ground.

I think if you were to keep the vine to say about 7 or 8 foot, you would be able to wrap the tree and vine come a frost or freeze.

I will take more pictures of mine if you like.
The one vine is about 12 foot up the tree and sent out a shoot that reaches back down to the ground!

Joe

PunkinPeep

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I agree with you, BDR!

It so rarely gets below freezing here that i think i could probably (most years) protect it with a sheet or something. And if not, i'll still have it inside, and i can replant when it warms up.

Even when it does freeze here, it usually just dips below freezing during the night and then warms back up.

I read a statistic that Houston averages only 18 days per year when the temperature dips below freezing.

So i think i'm going to chance it. If it works out, it will be worth it for the 300 days per year when freezing temperatures aren't a risk at all. ;)

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
SO where in east Tx are you that you're looking at Houston temps? It would be cool if you were only a few hours drive from me! In Texas, that's practically next door! :lol:

PunkinPeep

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
injunjoe said:
Cristal I was thinking the same way, what is there to lose?

It will take a while for it to grow up tree!

I would get a bunch of starts going inside over the winter then in spring plant them all around the base of a large Oak.
Some will grow away from the tree and a few will go up the tree.
I have tried to make them grow up the trees but it don't work. If the plant grows from the ground to the tree it will grow roots that hang onto the bark as it gets higher up it gets bigger and bigger and sends down aerial roots to the ground.

I think if you were to keep the vine to say about 7 or 8 foot, you would be able to wrap the tree and vine come a frost or freeze.

I will take more pictures of mine if you like.
The one vine is about 12 foot up the tree and sent out a shoot that reaches back down to the ground!

Joe
OOh yes! I would love to see a full length picture of how it grows up the tree! How interesting. I think my initial experiment will be letting it climb up the ugly satellite t.v. tree growing where i would like things to actually be pretty! :happy_flower

PunkinPeep

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Broke Down Ranch said:
SO where in east Tx are you that you're looking at Houston temps? It would be cool if you were only a few hours drive from me! In Texas, that's practically next door! :lol:
I'm in Coldspring - near Lake Livingston and the Sam Houston National Forest. Google says you're 4 1/2 hours away.

Houston is and hour -ish south. Houston's so sprawled out that it really depends where you're going in Houston. :)

Latest posts