what and when to plant for socal spring

ShortCircuitRanch2332

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Ok I live in southern California, I was curious as when to plant my spring seeds and what all I can plant?

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
ShortCircuitRanch2332 said:
Ok I live in southern California, I was curious as when to plant my spring seeds and what all I can plant?
Southern California has a lot of variation in climate depending on the proximity to the ocean and coastal range. Altitude can also efect the climate quite a bit. Here in San Diego I'm already harvesting Chinese greeens and snap peas. My cabbage and collards are coming right along and carrots and beets are just starting to show. I'll be planting broccoli and cauliflower soon provided those dratted gray aphids don't find my cole crops. Predators are pretty much dormant now so they multiply like wild fire.

beavis

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I too am battling those gray aphids on my winter crops. They devastated my Swiss Chard and are starting to attack my cabbage now....

beavis

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Seemed like a good day to plant Parsnips. I have never grown them before,but I have researched that they are very slow (3-4 weeks) to germinate and they can take up to 180 days to mature. They need to be sowed in a place that won't be disturbed.

Working a new seed bed for the Parsnips...
P1010851-3.jpg

Parsnip seed...
P1010852-3.jpg

I am planting them 4 inches apart in rows on both sides of the dripline...
P1010853-3.jpg

A good watering in...
p1010854-3.jpg

Now to address the undisturbed bed element. I am laying down some 1x2 inch hardware cloth on top of the beds to discourage unwanted digging by my critters (dogs) and unwanted critters...
p1010855-4.jpg

The finished plot for now...
P1010856-3.jpg

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
What a lovely sight, Beavis! I planted parsnips this year, and really enjoyed them. Roasted with an herbed, horseradish butter- they can't be beat. The greens on mine were chewed to the ground 3 or 4 different times (before I sent the woodchuck to heaven.) I really didn't think they would come back- but they did, each time. For that reason alone, I am including them in next years garden. I like a plant that won't give up! Keep us posted- it is gray, cold and dreary here, on the east coast. It does my soul good, to see your work in the garden.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
lesa said:
What a lovely sight, Beavis! I planted parsnips this year, and really enjoyed them. Roasted with an herbed, horseradish butter- they can't be beat. The greens on mine were chewed to the ground 3 or 4 different times (before I sent the woodchuck to heaven.) I really didn't think they would come back- but they did, each time. For that reason alone, I am including them in next years garden. I like a plant that won't give up! Keep us posted- it is gray, cold and dreary here, on the east coast. It does my soul good, to see your work in the garden.
Woodchucks that won't give up are a different matter. They're good eating though. Taste like wild rabbit.

Latest posts