What apples would you choose?

Northernrose

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I'm planning which trees to plant for my fruit orchard. We just moved here and I'm starting with a blank slate. I want to plant cherries, plums, pluots, apricots, peaches, pomegranates, asian pears, nectarines and apples. What can I say.....I'm a fruit-aholic!

There are so many apples to choose from! Which are your favorites? Let's say your top 5 apples for a balance of fresh eating and baking apple pies.

Here is the link to the nursery from where I will be getting the trees.

http://www.davewilson.com/br40/br40_trees/apples.html#Pettingill

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love golden delicious for pies, baking and fresh eating. Good all-around apple.
Mutzu is one of my favorites for apple butter.
I bought a Bonnie Best last year because I heard it was a blue-ribbon pie apple...which is my main perogative when it comes to an apple tree. Haven't gotten fruit off of it yet.

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I would include a pippen or 2 in an orchard. I think it is an excellent all purpose apple. Great for eating fresh or cooking. The same goes for winesaps. Maybe add in a gala or fuji or both? Jonathan is another good variety. There's my 5. :)

Lavender44

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Ha, that is funny I like both gala and fuji apples!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I got red johnathon for eating and it crosses nicely with green lodi, which are good for eating but great for baking and apple sauce! So we got 4 of them!

I agree with getting cherry if you can win the battle against the birds... I want cherry... but we ran out of space after 4 apple, 3 peach and 2 pear! (Anjou and Asian pear... mmmm)

MrsGardener

Sprout
Reaction score
My favorite all around apple is the Winesap!!! Yummy and holds a good texture in anything you make with them. Slightly tart but very fresh and crisp tasting right off the tree. Good luck!

ADDED INFO:
A large red apple that is the most popular winter keeper with a tart, rich, wine like flavor. This is a triploid; it cannot pollinate other apple trees. (Pollinate with Red or Yellow Delicious, Jonathan or Early Harvest) (zones 5 - 8)

Winesap apples are a favorite backyard orchard crop. Grow Winesap apples to eat in the winter, as they keep well for months. Winesaps have a crisp texture and a tart flavor, and are often used to make applesauce and apple pies. Winesap apples grow best in USDA Hardiness Zones 5 through 8 and need to be planted near another type of for proper pollination.

skeeter9

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh my! I love apples!!!

Here are some of my favorites:

Arkansas Black - not very common - very dense texture and amazing flavor. Not your everyday ho-hum apple.

Cortland

Empire

Gravenstein

Mutsu

Northernrose

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I'm narrowing down my choices: But not limiting them:D
I like the idea of growing old "heirloom" varieties as well as some newer modern apples.

My selections so far:
Anna
Arkansas Black Spur
Ashmead's Kernel
Fuji or Red Fuji
Pink Lady
Sierra Beauty- said to grow well in my area
Scarlet Surprise - sounds interesting with red flesh!
Tydeman's Late Orange
Hudson's Golden Gem
White Winter Pearmain
Winesap

Plus: for jelly

Dolgo Crabapple
Transcendent Crabapple

dragonlaurel

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Those are some nice apples. :drool
You might ask the ext service what diseases are a problem in your area. Then see if your favorites are more tolerant/resistant or weak about those diseases. They are likely to promote newer varieties, but you can still find out basic info from them.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
The only apples I buy are Fuji's...o.k..and granny smith for apple pies.

I don't like tart apples and the fuji's are sweet and crisp. Just the way I like them. :)

Mary

Latest posts