What apples would you choose?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Northernrose said:
I'm narrowing down my choices: But not limiting them:D
I like the idea of growing old "heirloom" varieties as well as some newer modern apples.
....Sierra Beauty- said to grow well in my area...
I would also talk to local orchards to find out what grows best for THEM. IMO, I wouldn't want to babysit an apple tree that isn't hardy for my area of the country.

Sure enjoy MY apple trees!!!

Northernrose

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I'm not going to order until this fall. So, I have the whole summer to choose and research. I'm going to be visiting the local farmer's markets and taste testing local grown apples and other produce. I'll ask plenty of questions too.

I'm good at peaches, plums, apricots and cherries. I worked at a local fruit farm for several years, but they didn't grow apples. The problem is that they spoiled me!!! I ate all the fruit I wanted right of the tree from May to September. I could take home as many 20+ pound lugs of cherries, peaches, plumbs and apricots I wanted too for jam, jelly or eating fresh. In the winter there was dried peaches and dried apricots. The best I've ever had :drool

But, the owners retired, bulldozed the trees and now rent the land out for field crops.:hit I cried when my favorite cherry tree was cut down. I called it the "Sweet 100". It was the only one we didn't know for sure what variety it was because it was unmarked. But every year it was loaded with cherries. The branches would nearly weep to the ground on a 20+ ft tall and 30 ft wide tree. Very similar fruit to a Bing, but not the same

They grew Bing, Black Tartarian, Lambert, Lapins, Rainier, Van, Stella and the "Sweet 100" tree was still one of a kind in the orchard. Like I said, I cried when it was gone.

aussieheelr

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Northernrose said:
I'm not going to order until this fall. So, I have the whole summer to choose and research. I'm going to be visiting the local farmer's markets and taste testing local grown apples and other produce. I'll ask plenty of questions too.

I'm good at peaches, plums, apricots and cherries. I worked at a local fruit farm for several years, but they didn't grow apples. The problem is that they spoiled me!!! I ate all the fruit I wanted right of the tree from May to September. I could take home as many 20+ pound lugs of cherries, peaches, plumbs and apricots I wanted too for jam, jelly or eating fresh. In the winter there was dried peaches and dried apricots. The best I've ever had :drool

But, the owners retired, bulldozed the trees and now rent the land out for field crops.:hit I cried when my favorite cherry tree was cut down. I called it the "Sweet 100". It was the only one we didn't know for sure what variety it was because it was unmarked. But every year it was loaded with cherries. The branches would nearly weep to the ground on a 20+ ft tall and 30 ft wide tree. Very similar fruit to a Bing, but not the same

They grew Bing, Black Tartarian, Lambert, Lapins, Rainier, Van, Stella and the "Sweet 100" tree was still one of a kind in the orchard. Like I said, I cried when it was gone.
Northern Cali!!!! Apples love that area. I can't remember where exactly but there is a place called Apple Hill. When I was youg we use to go there in the fall for their apple festival. SO MUCH FUN and nothing you every by in the store can come close to the fresh "squeezed" apple cider. Memories. Anyway, years ago we lived in San Ramon and had a golden delicious (which i didn't like) but had fuji grafted on it and it did great. And I know they had every variety of apple at apple hill...
I would go with fuji and gala... I use them both for freezing, pies and fresh eating. Haven't canned them yet but will.

Latest posts