What are these seeds or burrs?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
What immediately came to mind when you mentioned the seeds stuck to your dogs coat was forget-me-not seeds. Try googling "image of myosotis seed". And welcome to TEG! :frow

CC

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Okay, I have 11 posts and still have no idea how to download the picture. Can anyone help?

CC

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I looked up the forget me not, but the stems on this plant are skinnier and no fuzz. They also do not have flowers.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
CC, what I was trying to say is you need 10 of your own posts to do photos. Look to the left where there is a little basic info about you. Each of us has that. One of the things there says something like "posts" with a number next to it. As I type, yours says 7. This one thread has 13 posts.

There are still some features I have not figured out how to do. This The Easy Garden forum is going to be fixed up pretty soon. "Nifty" is the main administrator, and he's going to fix things so that The Easy Garden, we abbreviate it TEG, is going to be modernized. Not sure what the program is called that the forum is using now, but it is much like an updated version of message boards, clubs, groups and forums that were common in 1997.

CC, you just happen to be brand new here while some changes will be happening. Some of us have gotten a preview of how TEG will kind of look, at least what the new program looks like before Nifty will modify a new one for TEG. We just don't know when he'll do the change.

Meantime, as I post this you have 3 more posts to do.

I remember when I was a brand new seed here! I felt like suddenly I was "in" when I got my tenth post.

CC

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Thank you for your detailed explanation. It is so frustrating to have to post 10 times before I can send a picture. I have no other posts to make except to find out what this plant is so I guess I will never get the answer. You are very patient and kind to send me such a good description of the forum. I will see if there is anything else I need to ask. Thanks again.

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You only have 2 posts left to make! So... how did you find TEG? What breed is your dog? Answer those two questions in two separate posts, then try posting the picture.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
CC said:
My dog keeps getting covered with little green seeds or burrs that really stick to his fur. The plants they come from are about a foot tall and the seeds are green right now with an oval shape and straight tail about an inch in length. They actually look like a little sperm. They turn brown later on in the fall.
To answer you original question, those things sticking to his fur are burrs - a common form of seed dispersal used by many different plants. By attaching to passing animals, the plant insures that some of its seed will spread and geminate further from the mother plant.

All burrs contain one or more seeds, but not all seeds are contained in burrs.

Come on! Let's get those ten posts out of the way. Start your own topic. . . What's your weather like today?

Oops! AND a big welcome to TEG!

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
CC :welcome
Just make a comment on any topic/post and your number will go up quickly. Fun and easy. :)

CC

Leafing Out
Reaction score
The dog is a 5 year old rescued Maltipom with a very soft coat that attracts everything.

CC

Leafing Out
Reaction score
The weather in Ontario is cold this morning. Frost last night, finally rid of the mosquitoes we hope.

Latest posts