What are you canning now?

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Last night, we had some tomatillos & green "Beaver Dam" peppers that we salvaged while cleaning the rural garden, and decided to make salsa verde. We used a "roasted vegetable salsa verde" recipe I found online (allegedly from the new Ball canning book). There weren't quite enough tomatillos for the recipe, so we chopped up & de-seeded a green tomato to make up the difference. The tomatillos, green tomato, peppers, garlic, and onions were all roasted in the oven, then run through a food processor until smooth, combined with lime juice & a few spices, then heated & canned. DW & I both really like the flavor, this may become our go-to way to use tomatillos.
20211030_224602.jpg

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We are trying our hand at canning some of the Bunnies this week. We’ll see how that goes.
Normally they find they’re way into the freezer but it seem’s prudent to have this skill under our belts in these times.
we’re good with water bath, and not totally new to pressure canning, just been a few years. (like 3 decades)🤓

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
We are trying our hand at canning some of the Bunnies this week. We’ll see how that goes.
Normally they find they’re way into the freezer but it seem’s prudent to have this skill under our belts in these times.
we’re good with water bath, and not totally new to pressure canning, just been a few years. (like 3 decades)🤓
As MANY here know, I was deathly afraid of pressure canning.
Really, the only pressure is the time commitment.
Here is what I have learned.
You HAVE to babysit your pressure canner when in use, and follow ALL of the instructions. When you have gotten the pressure right, it's ok if it goes a little bit higher, like when it was supposed to be "11" and it was reading "15" it was still alright. IF it had dropped below "11" I would need to turn off the burner, let the water totally cool off, and completely start over.
There is NOTHING that will explode, but one batch takes hours.
Still, we are certainly enjoying pints of chili this year!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Last year I hardly had any tomatoes. I brought in lots of green ones and my 2020 tomato canning was pretty much from That harvest. This year, with 52 quarts in the pantry, I harvested green tomatoes before the killing frost that I knew was coming this week. There were a few that were mostly red, and many with some blushing. I didn't want to lose them, so I am finishing up 7 pints as I write. ALL of the rest can ripen as they please, and I will keep the canner close. They will be labeled, "tomatoes 4 beans" bc some are red, some are blushed and some are almost green.
I have gotten in the habit of softening beans with tomatoes, which I run through the blender, then cook with a crock pot.

Attachments

• Canned tomatoes 4 beans, 10-2021.jpg
    Canned tomatoes 4 beans, 10-2021.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 121

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
mTNSdiA.jpg

Canned butter. I learned alot. Next time, I'm going to use one half of the amount as unsalted butter and the other as salted. Keep the skimmed off foam - very salty and very good! Shake the jars alot as they cool. I walked away for an hour and then even tho I shook them a few times, they cooled too fast in our 67 degree home. So they are not fully mixed. Pressure canned for 75 min at 11 lbs.

See all those tomatoes? They were stripped from the plants last month and most of them have turned red. Not pretty looking but I'm going to dehydrate for future use.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
The crock pot is full of tomatoes that have ripened in the last week, and the canner is about to boil. As soon as I am done here I should bed able to can 3quarts+
That brings my total quarts of tomatoes canned this season to 55, or a little bit more.
Realistically, we have eaten a few, so I think I will have 48 quarts downstairs in the pantry tomorrow.

Latest posts