What are you canning now?

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've always used 3 inches!!

3 inches

Jars may break if set directly on bottom of canner. In general, 3 inches of hot water into the canner. Too much water is unlikely to cause harm, but too little could boil dry and that would be a major problem. To prevent water stains on jars, add 2 tablespoons white vinegar to water in canner.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Does starting cold make any difference in the volume of water, 3 quarts?
No.

THAT's what I thought, cold jars put in cold water in the pressure canner.
Try to think what they are trying to accomplish. If you put cold glass in hot water it can shatter. If you put hot glass in cold water it can shatter. So you want to put cold glass jars in cold water or hot glass jars in hot water.

The instructions seem to contradict this.
I'd need to read the entire instructions so I could get the entire context before I could respond directly to them.

I don't have a clue how many quarts of water mine takes. These canners come in different sizes. Mine has a line and the instructions say to fill to that line or above. It's a minimum line so the canner doesn't boil dry. Too much won't hurt but too little can. I'd think each canner comes with instructions on how much water they need. It may be quarts, it may be inches, it may be a mark, it may be something else.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Just reporting owners manual instructions, but I am happy that you agree with me about cold product, cold water, Hot product, Hot water. The instructions say to put in 3 quarts, and there is a measuring line on the inside of my 3 yo canner.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
TIred of canning tomatoes. This weekend, those that haven't rotted will go into my first try at tomato sauce. It's the recipe that uses ANY OLD TOMATO fit to can! ...even the cherries.
For a less labour intensive tomato sauce, cook it in the oven instead of on top. I find I can cook it on a lower heat for hours without stirring much and the taste of the sauce becomes much richer and a bit sweeter. Most delicious tomato sauces I've eaten were baked.

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
For a less labour intensive tomato sauce, cook it in the oven instead of on top. I find I can cook it on a lower heat for hours without stirring much and the taste of the sauce becomes much richer and a bit sweeter. Most delicious tomato sauces I've eaten were baked.
I want to try this next year. What type of pan do you use? I wonder if I can use a roaster pan so it fits more tomatoes?

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I want to try this next year. What type of pan do you use? I wonder if I can use a roaster pan so it fits more tomatoes?
Yup, you can use just about any size pan. I've mostly used a large glassware oval baking dish, or multiples of them. The friend who taught me the baked tomato sauce recipe used to use a lg. soup pot (with no plastic handles) and it was truly delicious, nobody could figure out what made it taste so good & it was a veggie tomato sauce. I don't have pots with pure metal handles so I don't use those, but I also got burned so many times with her pot method because I'd always grab the handle to stir it when she placed it on the stove top for serving! lol

I think the more shallow the pan is the faster it goes and the lower the temperature & more hours it bakes the sweeter it tends to be. 350 degrees is about what I set the stove at. I actually made some for supper tonight. Was really good!

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Some shallow pickle, short-time (24 hours up to one week) pickling
I made them yesterday - one can for cucumber, and the other for cabbage), and they already taste good today.
1545.jpg

1530.jpg

1531.jpg