What are you canning now?

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Made burritos in a jar two days ago. All dehydrated and ready to add to some ground beef after simmering. I think these would make great gifts. I can provide recipe.
IMG_0188.JPG

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Was gifted two cases of Red D'anjou pears. This is about one case worth. 14 pints. It was alot of work! Not sure what I'm going to do with the other case....
How about some tray(s) of Pear Brown Betty or pie for the freezer? At least I think "Brown Betty" is the correct term for a cobbler with a crumble top? We like to freeze in single servings for a quick and easy treat for heavy work days.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I will be doing a LOT more pressure canning this spring. We are purchasing a whole cow in May, and I need the freezer space!
Should be pressure canning on Sunday. 2 DD's (just up the road), have planned 1st of two back to back Saturdays cleaning my basement!!! DH suggested that make chili. We have all of theh ingredients including 5 pounds of hamburger.
Gonna be cold Saturday night, so I will fill pints and stage them on the cold porch, then pressure can the leftovers on Sunday. ALL of the last canned chili has been consumed. One pint makes one meal. I am using more pints than anything else now.
2nd basement cleaning will include the other DD, and she would like pork pulled BBQ. I will HAVE to freeze that--my pressure canning of bbq pork was a burned disaster. Had to throw it All away!! :hit
I should have enough kitchen freezer space for the leftovers.
The food will work well for lunch and dinner and snacks for the 4 and 5 of us.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
DH made a Big batch of chili Saturday for lunch/dinner while DD's attacked the basement fuel room, for "Basement Cleanup, Part Un."
I am part French. French Huguenat ancester came to Raleigh, (now NC,) in 1685.
I had leftover beans, softened in the crockpot with my tomatoes, and leftover chili.
We pressure canned 6 pints of beans, 8 pints of chili. I lost one cheapo lid, but it was a bean jar, so I have it in fridge for use soon.
When I bought new Ball lids, I made Sure to switch out the cheapo lids for the good ones for the chili.
DH did his magnificent job of labelling, something I have never cared much to do.

Last edited:

Latest posts