What are you canning now?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
@ninnymary , this broth was Really dark, but the other time I made pork broth it was dark, as well.
Eldest DD, the CHEF, has been studying up on recipes, and So many of them call for broth. She got me started making broth early this year, and it was the 2nd time that I used my pressure canner.
Broth is the basis for many recipes. Certainly it makes sense to boil pork in pork Broth instead of water. The taste of the pork ribs is greatly improved by it, IMHO.
Although DD isn't picky about matching the meat broth To the particular meat, I have canned pork broth, chicken broth, turkey broth and beef broth. I even made a small batch of lamb broth after Easter this year.
I call it beef broth even if I use leftover steak bones to make it
Many recipes call for chicken broth. Next time I make it I intend to buy a package of chicken legs and cook them down.
In preparation for broth making I have begun to freeze the bones with vegetables, like leftover onion pieces from an onion cut up for a hamburger meal, the ends cut off of green beans, carrot scrapings, and any old vegetables that might otherwise be composted. At My place I have PLENTY to compost, so I don't need them.
I wore out my oldest crock pot this year making broth!
The next oldest crock pot might be wearing out, too, but I will replace it, if necessary, bc my newest crock pot needs to be ready to make winter time crock pot meals, like corned beef, so I don't want to break That one. It has a timer and you can lock the lid on it for transport. This one isn't too pricey.
The idea of meat broth is to boil out every bit of nutrition that you can get get of meat bones. Cooking the bones down with vegetables adds subtle flavor. It's great to make vinegar slaw and keep the damaged leaves Just to add to stock, and you KNOW that you are getting nutrition from the cabbage while you are eating some other meal.

Last edited:

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Both. I cooked THIS latest broth from Friday niight until Tuesday morning in the crock pot.
Then, I pressure canned it, and the total was 14 1/4 pints, the leftovers went to the dogs.
This year I bought a really nice deep stainless steel bowl for mixing, very much like this:
I pour the broth through a big colander to catch the bones, etc.., which are thrown in the trash, can't compost them bc my dogs and cats would dig them up.
Then, I clear the 2 sided sink, and the broth in the bowl is on the left side, my jars are on the right.
I use a big ladel and a canning funnel to fill each jar.
Meanwhile, I start the 3 quarts of water in my pressure canner so that the temperature is as close to boiling as possible, so as to Not crack the jars. As I fill the jars, I make sure to wipe the rims before the lids and screw tops are put on, and wipe the sides and rinse them, in case there is produce on them.
I place all of the jars close to the pressure canner on my glass stove bc it is also getting hot.
Then, I load up the pressure canner and do the normal things, time the steam escape for 10 minutes, put on the rocker piece, watch the pressure rise, then set the timer (in this case) for 75 minutes. Can't go anywhere, so I surf the Internet at the kitchen table so I can keep checking the pressure.
It is Time consuming, and I wait until the next morning to open the pressure canner and remove my jars, but I enjoy the result.
Probably the dogs will get a few of these jars bc my 14yo Lab mix, Pyg really needs the enzymes to digest her food, and it gets her to eat All of the kibble, (Blue Buffalo Senior, btw.)

Last edited:

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Canned beans. Thought I'd be REALLY clever, and can both tomatoes (quarts) And green beans (pints). So I wanted 4 quarts on the bottom, was going to use a quart with canning water for the 4th (to make it stable,) and then I was going to put pints on the 2nd rack. HAH!! You can only put 2 racks of pints!! :lol:

Attachments

• Canning, 09-07-22, #1.jpg
    Canning, 09-07-22, #1.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 65

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
THIS is the result of those Lousy cheap lids from China!!!!!! I put the two with dimpled lids in the fridge and we will have them with some dinners next week. Sometimes I can broth just for the dogs, and I can use the crummy lids for That bc they will stay sealed long enough for me to use them.

Attachments

• Canning, 09-07-22, #5.jpg
    Canning, 09-07-22, #5.jpg
    303.8 KB · Views: 78

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Anyway, I got a kick out of my first green bean canning, and the tomatoes now make 12 quarts for 2022. I still have about 30 left from 2021. I need around 50-60 to meet all of our winter/spring/early summer tomato cooking needs. I refridgerated one quart of tomatoes bc it seemed a little shy and I wasn't sure that the lid had sealed. I cold packed the tomatoes this time and started with cold water, which works fine.

Attachments

• Canning, 09-07-22, #2.jpg
    Canning, 09-07-22, #2.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 70
  • Canning, 09-07-22, #3.jpg
    Canning, 09-07-22, #3.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 67

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
I purchased a 20 # box of peaches. Not cling free. They were $40. This was the best price I could find. They were delish however. I waited until they were medium ripe and some spots were molding.
IMG_1773.JPG

I cut, simmered in a light sugar liquid and then water bathed them yesterday. We will enjoy good fruit this winter and the light syrup is a delight.

Latest posts