What are you canning now?

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Canned 7 qts of tomato juice and 6 qts. If @ninnymary salsa. Will make a qt for breakfast we will serve to farmers next week. Guys at work wolf it down.
Did you add some chipotle's to your salsa? I think I forgot to tell you that last time before you canned it. But did tell you afterwards. That smokey flavor makes a big difference.

For years my salsa came out medium heat even though I added tons of jalapenos. After seeing somewhere how many peppers someone used I decided to add more to mine. Well this year it is spicier. It's more of a meduim/hot. I think I like it milder but it's still very good.

Mary

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Did you add some chipotle's to your salsa? I think I forgot to tell you that last time before you canned it. But did tell you afterwards. That smokey flavor makes a big difference.

For years my salsa came out mild/medium heat even though I added tons of jalapenos. After seeing somewhere how many peppers someone used I decided to add more to mine. Well this year it is spicier. It's more of a meduim/hot. I think I like it milder but it's still very good.

Mary

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score

For years my salsa came out medium heat even though I added tons of jalapenos. After seeing somewhere how many peppers someone used I decided to add more to mine. Well this year it is spicier. It's more of a meduim/hot. I think I like it milder but it's still very good.

Mary
No. By the time I grill the tomatoes & peppers, I get a Smokey flavor. Guess I’m a wimp as mine with jalapeños are hot enough. It will give you a good sweat but not light you up so that you lose taste or all feeling of your face. :weee

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5

Mary
My friend REALLY makes the very best Salsa. I think I have posted about this before, but she uses her jalepanoes and dehydrated anchos, and cuts them into the tiniest pieces so that you get some heat, but no explosions and you get the flavor.
I put 2 teaspoons worth of pulverized dehydrated jalepanoes, packaged in 2019, btw, and you could taste it in the turkey roaster's worth of chili last Saturday.
I have heard that some people are complaining that they are growing jalepanoes with almost no heat. I know that "Fooled you!" and whatever heatless jalepanoes seeds that I bought to plant (didn't get to it in 2022). Perhaps they are crossing and the result that ends up in box stores isn't hot at all.
Just ANOTHER reason to buy your seeds from a reputable seed dealer and start yourself.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Canned the leftover salsa from Salsa 12: This Year. My friend offered me some of what they have been eating with just a spoon.
Party salsa, canned 10-09-22.jpg
Green Beans canned 10-11-22.jpg

Yesterday, I canned 4 more quarts of green beans, from a planting that was an experiment. Total quarts of green beans is now 15. (P) means "pressure canned." Dh's job is to finish labelling...bc I find it tedious.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ran out of time yesterday, so I harvested the rest of the beets. I put them together with some from yesterday's dinner and that makes 6 now in the pressure canner:
2 quarts of tomatoes
3 quarts of green beans
1 pint of beets
As soon as they get to room temperature, from the refridgerator, I will PC them all together.
So "PC!"

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
NOT canning pumpkin, but I have a problem with too much moisture when I use fresh pumpkin. I heard about using paper towels to wick away the extra liquid on "America's Test Kictchen."
"What you can do before you use the puree in baked goods is squeeze out the extra moisture. America's Test Kitchen spreads pumpkin puree onto paper towels and then squeezes or pats out the moisture. It may sound difficult and messy but it's quite easy. The puree will almost peel off of the paper towel. If you can use a clean/pristine kitchen towel and do the same."
They recommended the same method to use with ricotta cheese.
They demonstrated with using a cookie sheet and 2 sheets thick of paper towels.
Just FYI.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
NOT canning pumpkin, but I have a problem with too much moisture when I use fresh pumpkin. I heard about using paper towels to wick away the extra liquid on "America's Test Kictchen."
"What you can do before you use the puree in baked goods is squeeze out the extra moisture. America's Test Kitchen spreads pumpkin puree onto paper towels and then squeezes or pats out the moisture. It may sound difficult and messy but it's quite easy. The puree will almost peel off of the paper towel. If you can use a clean/pristine kitchen towel and do the same."
They recommended the same method to use with ricotta cheese.
They demonstrated with using a cookie sheet and 2 sheets thick of paper towels.
Just FYI.

clean cheese cloth may be easier in terms of squeezing the juice out quicker - i do not want to use paper towels because of how they're made and the chances of left-over chemicals from the manufacturing process that might still be in them.

the juice from cooked puree is probably pretty sweet and could be used for other things. :)

now i'm hungry for breakfast... :)

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Tried canning 3 different vegetables in one pressure canning yesterday, tomatoes, green beans, and one pint of beets.
One green bean lid buckled a bit, so maybe keeping the time specific would be a better idea. Still, this will be the first jar that we eat, so no harm done.
I recounted downstairs and adding two I now have 55 quarts of tomatoes, 2021 canned and 2022 canned.
If I keep up with the plethora of tomatoes now living on my kitchen table, I should have plenty for our needs.
Ending the green bean canning season with 14 quarts! So happy, bc Fall bean growing was an experiment.
Tomatoes, green beans & beets canned, 10-17-22.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts