What are you canning now?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
The LAST of the grapes are being processed AS I WRITE!!! FORtunately, I have the 2014 grapes still frozen, so I'll have more than those that I have been able to harvest BY MYSELF!!!! I'm feeling a little bit like "The Little Red Hen", EXCEPT I will have to bribe my family with pies to get any more harvesting help!! REALLY?!?!?!?!? :barnie
OH, well...if it takes a grape pie to get the apples and tomatoes in, I WILL do it! Btw, does anybody have a good recipe for this? I've never made one and I was going to adapt my cherry pie recipe for it, especially since some of the grapes have up to 3 seeds each.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've never heard of grape pie, though my mama used to make a raisin pie that it probably similar, since the raisins plump back up into grapes by the time the pie is finished. Can't wait to hear if anyone has a recipe! :pop

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score

That is just LOVELY!!! What a perfect shade of redness and perfect ripeness! :drool

Yesterday DH and I helped the neighbors put up the apples from their tree.
We made 23 quarts of apple pie filling, and 23 pints of applesauce, and had a good time talking and laughing together. :)

What a great harvest!!! :clap Since you helped, do you get to keep any of the finished product? What kind of apples were they?

We will be scrounging for apples soon...will likely get some on our trip to the mountains, as there are many, many apple trees all over that area with nobody to claim them, so folks usually just go out and forage those mountain apples.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/concord-grape-pie-i/
THIS one sounds pretty good.
Beekissed, you need to plant an apple tree. They are very forgiving of pruning and really produce. I thought that I had snapped and killed the top of a little Johnathan apple tree that I planted 5 years ago. It had a shoot from the ground, so I let it live. This year there were about 18 big, fat apples and DH (who loves this kind of apple) assured me that they were, indeed, Johnathans.

frontiergirl53

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I just got into canning! I've been trying freezer jam recipes, and last week I everything I need to can. I did a simple strawberry recipe on Saturday and it turned out great! Does anyone have a good pickle recipe? I can't find one that is easy enough for me...

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/concord-grape-pie-i/
THIS one sounds pretty good.
Beekissed, you need to plant an apple tree. They are very forgiving of pruning and really produce. I thought that I had snapped and killed the top of a little Johnathan apple tree that I planted 5 years ago. It had a shoot from the ground, so I let it live. This year there were about 18 big, fat apples and DH (who loves this kind of apple) assured me that they were, indeed, Johnathans.

:gig I have 8 apple trees! The squirrels have stripped all but two of them and those two have been thinned down by the squirrels and deer already...but are a variety that are not much good for eating anyway.

I pruned these old trees for the first time last year and got a good looking crop on each of them, especially the dwarf varieties...but the squirrels stole each and every apple before I could figure out a good solution for them. Too, too many squirrels here and the foxes keep eating our cats.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
:gig I have 8 apple trees! The squirrels have stripped all but two of them and those two have been thinned down by the squirrels and deer already...but are a variety that are not much good for eating anyway.

I pruned these old trees for the first time last year and got a good looking crop on each of them, especially the dwarf varieties...but the squirrels stole each and every apple before I could figure out a good solution for them. Too, too many squirrels here and the foxes keep eating our cats.
Well... silly fox... they need to change their diet to include SQUIRREL!

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wish. Right now the resident red fox is after the rabbits in the yard...and being none too successful on that, I might add. If I didn't have a Jake, he'd be eating my chickens instead.

Squirrel season is in a couple of weeks, so I'm turning the boys loose on 'em and seeing if we can't thin out the population, while filling some jars around here.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bee, the neighbors are splitting the finished product with us, which I think was very sweet and generous of them. We supplied some of the ingredients and they supplied the apples and jars. They don't know the variety of apple since it came with the property, but it's a pretty green with a red blush and is tart like a Granny Smith.

We have a small crop of apples out on a few trees, variety unknown (rootstocks that came up when the grafts died) and we'll be canning those up soon.

It's feeling like fall now! :ya

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
What a nice, neighborly thing to do and have between y'all. Yes! Fall is nigh here...maples are changing up in the mountains already. I have a feeling this month is just going to fly by, as I have so much to do this fall.

I love a tart apple for sauce and pie filling...I've never liked a mushy, sweet apple.

Latest posts