What are you canning now?

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
May I ask how it taste like is it sweet like on corn on the cob?

The way we can it, it does. We don't pressure can it, as it renders it tasteless mush of a dark color. We waterbath~steam can it, rather~ it and it comes out tasting just like if you cut it off the cob...crunchy, sweet, crisp.

mythreesons

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
This morning I canned:

Blackberry Pie Filling

I'm fortunate that I know where there is a HUGE patch not far from my house of thumb size Blackberries w/nasty thorns.. ended up with several scratches, slivers & deep cuts with a baseball size bruise on my knee from slipping and landing on a broken limb from a down tree..it's basically in a field with grass that's 4-foot high.

Even after all that I'm so grateful for the free bounty my family will enjoy lots of pie this winter.

Last edited:

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is a blessing indeed! When I was growing up we had a place way out in the boonies where there was a field of blackberries like that and we picked many gallons of berries....it was painful, hot, sweaty and bug eaten work. We went looking for that a couple of years ago but that field is gone now, all grown up to other things and not a blackberry cane in sight.

That place also had HUGE pods of wild grapes way up in the trees. What ones would could reach we harvested, but most were out of reach. Made juice and jam out of those back then.

Folks used to go out like that and forage for things but not many do it now, so I applaud you for your good foraging!

Our own blackberries on the back of the land are small and quickly eaten by the wildlife, but I keep wanting to go and cut them back, prune them up and feed them to see if I could get bigger berries growing there.

Put some tomatoes in the dryer this evening and a big bowl of them down in the freezer so I can slip skins later and use them for canning.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
i love my dw she is canning up the sweet banana peppers, oh yes toasted sub sandwiches
DSC_0002.JPG

need to edit
heres the final
DSC_0003.JPG

Last edited:

mythreesons

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
That is a blessing indeed! When I was growing up we had a place way out in the boonies where there was a field of blackberries like that and we picked many gallons of berries....it was painful, hot, sweaty and bug eaten work. We went looking for that a couple of years ago but that field is gone now, all grown up to other things and not a blackberry cane in sight.

That place also had HUGE pods of wild grapes way up in the trees. What ones would could reach we harvested, but most were out of reach. Made juice and jam out of those back then.

Folks used to go out like that and forage for things but not many do it now, so I applaud you for your good foraging!

Our own blackberries on the back of the land are small and quickly eaten by the wildlife, but I keep wanting to go and cut them back, prune them up and feed them to see if I could get bigger berries growing there.

Put some tomatoes in the dryer this evening and a big bowl of them down in the freezer so I can slip skins later and use them for canning.
'
Funny you should mention the wild grapes because they were intertwined in the trees near the blackberries and my son saw them..we have wild grapes growing everywhere but, I have never done anything with them because I grow my own concord grapes..

My son and I forage often..I made all my applesauce & juice from what I thought was wild apple trees (found out from my 68yr old Dad that their use to be a house there in that area before he was even born and the people that lived there planted the trees) up the road from me.

Dug up ramps and planted that up in our woods.

We know where the wild asparagus, mulberry, elderberry, crabapple, blackcaps, wild red raspberry, wild grapes, ramps, comfrey, black walnut, acorn grow...most grows here on our property also.

I have been reading a lot on identifying wild food and medicinal plants.

mythreesons

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
If that apple tree is producing good fruit with no spraying might want to try grafting it to a tree in your yard. Would be worth planting a tree just for that reason.

It produces excellent fruit..no spraying it's basically nestled off the road boarding a swamp.

I like the idea of grafting and I've got that on my list to learn.

I have 4- apple trees but they haven't matured enough to produce me anything yet.

Latest posts