What are you canning now?

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Theresa has been canning up a storm the last few days, mostly tomatoes. She purchased an automatic pressure canner, which she says works great! She just loves to try the latest gadgets. ;)

canner.jpg

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
YES!!! Unless you can with a pressure canner, though, you will want to use a 1/2 and 1/2 vinegar + sugar mix with a water bath canner, which is what I do.
What I learned about beets is that a lot of people think that they are a spring crop and/or that you can only grow one crop/year. BOTH are wrong. I am replanting this weekend after two 15-20 pound harvests from the same 4 x 12 bed, which ALSO is growing okra. People will tell you that the big beets are tough. ONLY if you buy the big ones in the grocery store and they were picked a couple of months ago! Beets are an easy crop! Just make sure to keep them well watered for the first 3 weeks when they are germinating. You will see the beet partway above the ground, so you gauge the size before you pick. Work in compost and they will easily pull out of the bed.
I have been juicing my beets with tomatoes and cukes. I have never tasted such sweet beets. I did not think this would be so with all of this never ending heat of the summer.

waretrop

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wow, What a great place to be. I have been layed up for the whole summer and have not been able to grow a garden right nor have I been able to but up any food this year. Last Sept I had 1500 jars of food in my pantry for our future. I do can enough food for 3 years at a time so I am not going to be hurting for not canning this summer. It will happen next summer. Now my pantry is half stocked.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow, What a great place to be. I have been layed up for the whole summer and have not been able to grow a garden right nor have I been able to but up any food this year. Last Sept I had 1500 jars of food in my pantry for our future. I do can enough food for 3 years at a time so I am not going to be hurting for not canning this summer. It will happen next summer. Now my pantry is half stocked.

1500? Good for you. You had a bad year (hope you are ok now) but you were prepared and can make it up next year.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
@thistlebloom from your no spray apple trees?

Yes! I got a garden wagon full, plus a 20 gallon muck bucket full from the front 4 trees, and my two in back just started producing this year, so I probably got 15 to 20 pounds from them.
Those two are named varieties, and I was certain one was Honeycrisp, but now I don't know. It doesn't look like a Honeycrisp to me. I'll have to dig around in my different tag bags and see if I can find their tags.
At any rate , whatever they are, they were all unblemished, except the fake Honeycrisp which had spots on the skin. That tree is also an aphid magnet.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
dw and i picked the last of the SWEET CORN yesterday had almost a wheel barrel full, but once we started, yup it was "definitely organic" we got half and the worms got the other....:lol:
DSC_0002.JPG

have 3 .5 cases put away for the winter...not bad for what little that was planted..

by the way @jackb nice canner

Latest posts