What are you canning now?

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Canning up some old fat hens and a few spare cockerels today. Concentrated the stock this time to save on shelf space and jar use. Also deboned and chopped the meat before raw packing this time so I could fit more in the jar, for the same reasons...more compact canning.

Used some feet this time and it really jellied that stock when it was chilled.

100_5189.jpg

And I was able to skim off a thick quart of chicken fat...silky, richly deep golden...to be used in cooking this year. I freeze it flat, then just break off chunks when I need some for cooking. Nothing renders a recipe more flavorful nor adds more unctuousness to it than this chicken fat.

100_5188.jpg

Will finish this batch with 7 qts of chicken, 2 pts of pulled chicken(from the bones used in the stock), and 2 qt. of concentrated stock. Also have the stock bones and organ meat in the pressure canner right now, cooking them down so I can grind them in the meat grinder and add other ingredients to make some animal treats. Trying to not waste much this year.

Hope to kill more birds on Friday and can more on Sat. Will keep pluggin' away at it until this flock is thinned for the winter. I thank God for this good, good food!

Last edited:

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Nyboy If all deer were in freezer, there would be no more. While they are a long legged ground hog, they do have some value.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you are stupid and allow vent to not work.....or turn heat on high and walk away....

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I never really got how afraid people are of canning and of pressure canning in particular, especially with the canners they have out now that have emergency pressure release buttons and such.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Killed six more chickens today and am currently canning the meat and cooking down the stock. Six packed qts. of boneless meat out of six birds, so I'm pretty pleased by that. Only have about six more to kill for the season and hope to get that all done on Friday so I can move on to pumpkin and squash if I find a recipe or two that I will actually consume later on.

Latest posts