What are you canning now?

waretrop

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That looks great. Do you raw pack? Do you add any liquid or spices? I don't on either count but I do raw pack.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have always roasted them first - to get most of the fat out and to get all the good seasoning in. But this year I was super short on time - most of this was done between 8-11pm on various nights. First year skinning instead of plucking (much faster!). And first year raw packing the meat. I added no liquid, what's in there came out of the meat as it cooked in the canner.
:)

waretrop

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I buy mine and don't pluck or anything but If I did I think I would skin instead..I can mine the same way.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
DONE canning birds... I'm so sick of the smell of cooking chicken! :sick :gig

View attachment 17595

VERY pretty!!!! I don't think I could ever get sick of that smell! :drool Chickens fed on fermented feed don't have that barnyard/gamey smell of regular chickens, so it makes it nice. Will be killing the last of the cull list today and will be cooking down stock tonight, so that smell will be everywhere for the next couple of days.

I'm glad to have that chore done for the year, though I still have to can up pumpkins and squash...can take my time with those and do them on days when it's too cold to be outside and working. I'll be glad when I can put that canner up in the shed for the rest of the season.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
The last 7 on the cull list are in the canner and stock pot as I type...am so glad to have all the killin' done for the year. Thirty-three birds harvested this season. I'm incredibly grateful for the bounty of meat and stock God provided for us this year...He works things out in mysterious ways, for sure. Always makes me grin when I think about how He does things.

Just need to can up pumpkin and squash grown this year(not all of it...most will be stored for eating later, by us and by the animals) and then this canner will get a rest and so will I. I need it.

Last edited:

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Finished up the meat harvest/canning season with 6 1/2 qt. of boneless, packed meat and 6 1/2 qt. of concentrated stock from that last killing...and that's all folks!!!!
wee.gif

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm alive!!

I appreciate the concerns. My wife's had some health issues and is currently recuperating from surgery so been busy there with that. Plus 3 kids it's been a rodeo.

I literally just finished apple sauce. I made 30-something quarts. And whenever I make that I make apple scrap jelly.

Save the cores and peels. I fill a pot with them. Add 2-3 cinnamon sticks to the mix too. Add a Little apple juice or water to the scrap pot to keep things from scorching, put the lid on it, and set it on med-low heat. Let that cook and occasionally stir while I focus on the apple sauce. I'll can all the apple sauce, then I focus on the scraps.

Strain the cooked scraps and keep the juice. You need 7 cups of juice to make a batch. You can add water or I add store bought apple juice to get to 7 cups. Add a box of pectin, bring to a boil for 1 min. Add 9 cups of sugar. Bring back to a boil and water bath can it for 10 minutes. I can't remember how much it makes but it's really good. Little sweet, and the apple cinnamon flavor is always a big hit. You can omit the cinnamon sticks if you want just apple jelly but I've made it both ways and prefer the added flavor.

Any mix of apples works too. I use about 15lbs of apples per batch of sauce and that will give me a pot of cores and peels. I'll strain off the juice into a bowl and when I get to 7 cups I'll run a batch of jelly. That 1 pot can yield 4-ish cups of juice. Yes it's cloudy but when you add the sugar it gets crystal clear.

Cowboy candy is a must make!!!!! It's very very good! As Journey said it's great on burgers and sandwiches. My wife adds it to her deviled eggs recipe and people always ask what's different about her recipe because it's so good.

And @journey11 your mustard recipe makes for some AMAZING potato salad!!!!

Latest posts