What are you canning now?

Jared712

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Chicken stock starts tomorrow.

Its always a 2 day process when I make it. 1 day to is simmer and straining, then it sits overnight in the fridge to cool and let the fat collect so I can skim it off. Celery, carrots, water, rosemary, thyme, sage, bay leaf, and carcasses to simmer to make dark gold magic. All of that get strained off and then left to cool overnight in the fridge so in the morning I can skim the fat off.

Then I reboil it briefly to get it up to temp then portioned off and into the canner the following day. I just hope I have enough lids.....

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Pressure

What is your elevation above sea level? Less than 1000 feet and it's 10 psi. Over that there is an adjustment. Do you use a pressure gauge or a weighted rocker?

time to can?

I use 20 minutes for pints and 25 minutes for quarts for chicken broth.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Pressure

What is your elevation above sea level? Less than 1000 feet and it's 10 psi. Over that there is an adjustment. Do you use a pressure gauge or a weighted rocker?

time to can?

I use 20 minutes for pints and 25 minutes for quarts for chicken broth.
Pressure gage with a rocker and escape valve.

Jared712

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Pressure and time to can?

For us here in Michigan yes pressure can and its a weighted rocker. I do 25 minutes for pints and 30 minutes for quarts since we're so close to 1000ft here.

Carcasses and veggies go in the pot then I add water till its about a couple inches over the everything. Float the fresh herbs and let it simmer most of the day. USDA says 1hr is sufficient but I do it all day to help concentrate flavor a bit as it evaporates down a bit just like you would a tomato sauce. Oh I forgot to say I add 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar to the mix also to add some acid to help breakdown the collagen and fats along with the heat.

I freeze any/all carcasses I can get to make stock. Once I get 3 or 4 carcasses I'll fire off a batch. Its nice because the carcasses go in a ziplock bag in the freezer till its time to use them. I've even mixed turkey and chicken carcasses without any issues either. I usually do 1 turkey carcass and 2 chicken carcasses and I'll get a bunch of stock from that.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here is how I make my chicken broth.

Instead of time the USDA recommends you adjust your pressure for height above sea level. This link tells you how.

The logic behind adjusting pressure instead of time is that water boils at different temperatures with different pressures. The higher you are above sea level the lower the temperature the water boils. So you make up for the difference in elevation with the pressure inside your canner.

The basic timing of how long is based on the density of what you can. Broth is really low density, corn can be really high. That's why the differences in times for different products. If you get the temperature of everywhere inside that jar up to 240* F it kills the botulism microbe.

240 will not kill everything, like mold spores, but it will take care of a lot of stuff. Cleanliness helps out a lot with that other stuff.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Chicken stock starts tomorrow.

Its always a 2 day process when I make it. 1 day to is simmer and straining, then it sits overnight in the fridge to cool and let the fat collect so I can skim it off. Celery, carrots, water, rosemary, thyme, sage, bay leaf, and carcasses to simmer to make dark gold magic. All of that get strained off and then left to cool overnight in the fridge so in the morning I can skim the fat off.

Then I reboil it briefly to get it up to temp then portioned off and into the canner the following day. I just hope I have enough lids.....
Me, too. Why is it why start a big canning project and then run out?!?!? :th

Jared712

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Because I always forget to include the time to get it up to temperature be it water bath or pressure canning. I only seem to remember that I need __ minutes to actually process the canning jars.

This is all the chicken carcasses I had from my bulk chicken purchases. Plus the appropriate amount of veggies and herbs.

Both pots were full nearly to the brim and simmering away. Ive strained them, they cooled outside and then went to the fridge.

Misread my schedule so they sat all day today too and Ill be running the canner tomorrow.

Attachments

• received_519737638712268.jpeg
    received_519737638712268.jpeg
    124.7 KB · Views: 192

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Having so much fun with DD's dehydrator!! Eldest DD, our master chef, has been buying these fresh herbs (not with roots.) She is notorious for throwing away anything that has gone bad. She bought mint for St. Patricks' Day, and we used a tiny bit. She bought parsley for a dish, used a few sprigs, no more. She bought cilantro for the lamb and didn't use Any of it.
I was savvy to her wasteful ways. Her air fryer, which has a lovely dehydrator, was available and I grabbed each of these, pulled out any wilted sprigs and got them dehydrated and stored. The cilantro has been on the tray dryer, but I think it will be run through the dehydrator today.
I found these great Ball storage jars at WM. NOTE: these are NOT for canning with a seal, just a good replacement for using your 1/2 pint jars up storing herbs.
Btw, her air fryer makes terrific fries and great clams, from frozen packages.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Last edited:

Latest posts