What are you canning now?

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Canned up 12 3/4 pints of ground turkey into Turkey Taco Time. Then canned 6 pints of chicken thigh meat that I got on sale for 77 cents per lb, and no injections!

Today canning up all the left over stock, and will label it Meat Stock.

Attachments

• IMG_9342.JPG
    IMG_9342.JPG
    204.2 KB · Views: 98

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
When I make my tomato sauce I core and quarter my tomatoes, drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper.
Then I purée, put in jars and freeze.

Mary

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
When I make my tomato sauce I core and quarter my tomatoes, drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper.
Then I purée, put in jars and freeze.

Mary
You don’t skin them?

I have black beans cooking to take burrito for lunch with the salsa.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
You don’t skin them?

I have black beans cooking to take burrito for lunch with the salsa.
No, I don't skin or take out seeds. They dissolve when I puree in blender. I've heard that you can only freeze this salsa because it has olive oil. If you eliminate the olive oil you can stew the tomatoes and then puree and can.

I love to freeze this sauce cause it's so easy. Since I rarely have power outages and then only for a few minutes I feel comfortable freezing it.

I forgot to mention that after coring and quartering tomatoes I drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper then roast them in 475* oven for about 40 minutes. Puree and put in canning jars and freeze.

Mary

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
No, I don't skin or take out seeds. They dissolve when I puree in blender. I've heard that you can only freeze this salsa because it has olive oil. If you eliminate the olive oil you can stew the tomatoes and then puree and can.

I love to freeze this sauce cause it's so easy. Since I rarely have power outages and then only for a few minutes I feel comfortable freezing it.

I forgot to mention that after coring and quartering tomatoes I drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper then roast them in 475* oven for about 40 minutes. Puree and put in canning jars and freeze.

Mary
I used vegetable oil on tomatoes before grilling. Then used stick blender and they canned (pressure canner) just fine.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
DW & I were trying to give away a lot of tomatoes before they spoiled, and DD kindly offered to come over Saturday with her processor to help us make sauce. Between cutting, running the tomatoes through the machine, cooking down the sauce, and canning, it took us 13 hours - and broke the motor on her machine! :eek: She took that in stride (we had already commented on how under-sized the motor was). We finished by taking turns with the hand crank (which we actually liked better) until the only tomatoes remaining were set aside for seed saving.

We had 2 shallow pans which we had picked up on sale at Aldi. They turned out to have surprisingly good heat-conductive bases, and cooked down the sauce without burning... using both pans at once was the only reason we finished in one night. We ended up with 23 pints of thick sauce, to be shared between DD & ourselves. This was the longest canning project I've ever undertaken, but it was rewarding; and a memorable experience getting to work together with DD. :hugs
20210905_230202.jpg

Latest posts