What are you canning now?

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I’m canning chicken leg quarters I caught on sale for 39 cents a pound. Bought 6 bags, 10 pounds each. My husband mixes it with the dogs kibble. 1 jar a day for 5 big dogs. I added rice and green beans. The Thai long beans are making faster than we can eat them, so into the jar they go. I get 7 quarts per 10 pound bag..

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
@ninnymary FYI, just shared post with friends that want to make your salsa for their family. It’s now my go to salsa.
What a nice compliment Seed. I have been roasting the tomatoes and jalapenos in batches and freezing them whole until I have enough to use the canner. This really helps to spread out the work involved.

I make it super spicey but it always gets so mild after canning. I posted on a facebook canning group but no ones was able to help me. All they said was to add more hot peppers after I open up a jar. I don't want to do that. I want to honor my grandmother and do it like she did. Sometimes I do add fresh chopped cilantro after I open a jar but I usually forget.

I just canned about 24 half pints and I didn't have as many peppers so I don't think it will be spicy. I like to have the jar sit for a month before I open it so I haven't tested it yet.

Did I mention to also use a couple of chipotle peppers? It adds a nice smokiness to the salsa.

Mary

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I’m canning chicken leg quarters I caught on sale for 39 cents a pound. Bought 6 bags, 10 pounds each. My husband mixes it with the dogs kibble. 1 jar a day for 5 big dogs. I added rice and green beans. The Thai long beans are making faster than we can eat them, so into the jar they go. I get 7 quarts per 10 pound bag..
That is canine love 😊

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
What a nice compliment Seed. I have been roasting the tomatoes and jalapenos in batches and freezing them whole until I have enough to use the canner. This really helps to spread out the work involved.

I make it super spicey but it always gets so mild after canning. I posted on a facebook canning group but no ones was able to help me. All they said was to add more hot peppers after I open up a jar. I don't want to do that. I want to honor my grandmother and do it like she did. Sometimes I do add fresh chopped cilantro after I open a jar but I usually forget.

I just canned about 24 half pints and I didn't have as many peppers so I don't think it will be spicy. I like to have the jar sit for a month before I open it so I haven't tested it yet.

Did I mention to also use a couple of chipotle peppers? It adds a nice smokiness to the salsa.

Mary
Is this recipe on the network somewhere?

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score

Mary
1/2 pints???? I eat a pint per meal. :). Not quite but I do can in pints and quarts. I use it in refried beans, burritos, eat on chips, etc. mine is mild (for me). You could always change the type of hot pepper? I’m kind of stuck on jalapeño peppers. With sand, once it gets hot, so do they.

No, u did not mention the chipotle pepper. Holding out on me....

Last edited:

Latest posts