What are you canning now?

jbosmith

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I guess this proooobably doesn't count as canning, but here's some sorghum I grew this year. It's my first time growing it and now I have to figure out what to do with it...

2021-10-12 23.07.43.jpg

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Have you make cowboy candy with the
Tried jalapeño relish. Used quite a few jalapeño. Then, diced up another bunch placed in vinegar/water and set out to ferment.
Jalapino
Tried jalapeño relish. Used quite a few jalapeño. Then, diced up another bunch placed in vinegar/water and set out to ferment.
Have you made cowboy candy with the jalapinos?

Attachments

• 20210927_142928.jpg
    20210927_142928.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 210

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I just ordered one of these:
The local store was out of stock, BUT, other stores in their chain has them in stock. Paid for, couldn't promise When, But I bet I have it next week.
It is DEEPER than the old spatterware that I have, and I hope that I won't get water splattered in front of my stove when I hot water bath process quarts.
I noticed that the glass lid has a small vent, too.

Last edited:

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
@ninnymary .
Just put up your tomatoes as usual. You can ALWAYS use them for some recipe later. We have had a VERY long warm(ish) spell this Fall. Should have had our first frost, not predicted now up to Halloween, which is Very late, so the tomatoes keep producing. I also bring in the green ones end of season and put them in bowls on my kitchen table. (We don't eat on it.) I let them riped, check for any rotten ones, and can ALL that are good, even if I have a mix of red and green, which I prefer for liquidating my beans. They STILL taste good!

Last edited:

jbosmith

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
What varieties are those?
The reddish one is Ba Yi Qi Grain Sorghum (Source: Great Lakes Staple Seed) and grew 7 or 8 feet tall.
The white one is (oddly?) Amber sorghum (Source: Sylvia Davatz who started Solstice Seeds) and was maybe 5 feet tall.

Sylvia also sent me Lesotho which was supposed to be the best for this area but they didn't germinate for me. I'm not entirely sure why but suspect a poorly timed moisture issue.

jbosmith

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I just ordered one of these:
The local store was out of stock, BUT, other stores in their chain has them in stock. Paid for, couldn't promise When, But I bet I have it next week.
It is DEEPER than the old spatterware that I have, and I hope that I won't get water splattered in front of my stove when I hot water bath process quarts.
I noticed that the glass lid has a small vent, too.
I got a similar pot this fall and it's been a nice upgrade. The glass lid is my favorite part! I also have a nice tall 23 quart presto canner that I sometimes water bath quarts in, and I just use the lid from one of the old black canners.

Latest posts