What are you canning now?

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Every yard sale and estate sale and thrift store I go to, I scour them for lids. I can see the box of the lids in the back of the pic. They were on clearance in San Jose many many years ago, at a Safeway. I remember buying all that I found that they had in the clearance section.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
After our LOTR eatfest marathon I had small lamb chop bones and a duck carcass, so I cooked them down to can.
SIL got me a new crock pot. It's a little smaller than it's predecessor, so I probably won't be using it for anything but a stew or cooking broth. I cleaned off all of the bones and gave the dogs the meat, and there was a LOT more than you would think, then put the bones back in the crockpot. We had a spiral ham for Sunday and Month. Ate the last of it this morning, so the crock pot is cooking down the pork bones, too, for dog broth. How did I tell them apart?
Lamb broth was only 1 1/2 pints worth. I used a blue 1/2 pint jar and I used blue screw top lid for the pint. I cleaned them first, and labeled them first. THAT's what you do with the different colored screw tops, btw! LOL

Attachments

• Lamb chops bones & duck bones 4 broth, 01-01-23.jpg
    Lamb chops bones & duck bones 4 broth, 01-01-23.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 80
  • Lamb broth & Duck broth, 01-2-23.jpg
    Lamb broth & Duck broth, 01-2-23.jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 93

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
As quart size jars are emptied from the pantry I have been re using then for canning dry beans. Canned 21 jars of pinto and 7 jars of garbanzo so far.
I also need to make some more jam with the frozen fruit.
We are currently under a tornado watch so I won't fill up the canner now 😂

Attachments

• 20230101_170206.jpg
    20230101_170206.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 81

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
As quart size jars are emptied from the pantry I have been re using then for canning dry beans. Canned 21 jars of pinto and 7 jars of garbanzo so far.
Oh, how I would love to be able to grow enough beans for canning. You must have an enormous garden. I grew garbanzos for the first time this year, and got about 1/2 cup (a good start!)

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
After our LOTR eatfest marathon I had small lamb chop bones and a duck carcass, so I cooked them down to can.
SIL got me a new crock pot. It's a little smaller than it's predecessor, so I probably won't be using it for anything but a stew or cooking broth. I cleaned off all of the bones and gave the dogs the meat, and there was a LOT more than you would think, then put the bones back in the crockpot. We had a spiral ham for Sunday and Month. Ate the last of it this morning, so the crock pot is cooking down the pork bones, too, for dog broth. How did I tell them apart?
Lamb broth was only 1 1/2 pints worth. I used a blue 1/2 pint jar and I used blue screw top lid for the pint. I cleaned them first, and labeled them first. THAT's what you do with the different colored screw tops, btw! LOL
Do you hunt ducks? Ive never seen duck broth before!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
@Dahlia , NOPE, no duck hunting. ALDI carries frozen duck most of the year, and it comes with an orange sauce.
That's what we ate last Saturday, and the bones got frozen for broth.
I put all of the duck bones and the tiny lamb chop bones AND the ham bone back into the crock pot and made "dog broth" yesterday.
It keeps my 15yo dog eating her kibble.

Latest posts