What are you canning now?

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Canned over 20 jars of mustard today! We eat a lot of Dijon style mustard so I make it and can it. The recipe is so simple and it is so delicious.
You maybe wondering "why so many jars?"
We love this mustard and I use it in salad dressings, egg salads, potato salads,sandwiches, burgers, even for making burger patties. We can easily eat a half pint jar in a week.
Anyway, give it a try :). I'm linking the recipe I used. I only have Yellow mustard seeds so that's what I use.

Attachments

• 20230126_094521.jpg
    20230126_094521.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 101

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I am Definitely going to make this!
We don't go through mustard that quickly either.
Interesting, last time I canned grape jelly I didn't think it set, so I labelled it "runny." After sitting for a few months it was perfectly jelled.
Right now, to keep weight on my 15yo Lab mix, I have been making "dog broth," which is just broth made from whatever bones, etc. I have in the freezer. I have taken to hot water bathing it bc it never sits for more than a few weeks, and the seal holds.
I have both my pressure canner and hot water bath canner living under the sink, since I have been making lots of broth.
For this recipe I just need to find the brown mustard seeds. Already have yellow mustard seeds.
Thanks for sharing! :hugs

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Canned over 20 jars of mustard today! We eat a lot of Dijon style mustard so I make it and can it. The recipe is so simple and it is so delicious.
We love this mustard and I use it in salad dressings, egg salads, potato salads,sandwiches, burgers, even for making burger patties. We can easily eat a half pint jar in a week.
Anyway, give it a try :). I'm linking the recipe I used. I only have Yellow mustard seeds so that's what I use.

We make homemade mayo and ketchup, but never tried mustard. When our kids lived at home it was my middle daughters job to make the ketchup so we'd have it on our weekends that we spent out on our sailboat.

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We make homemade mayo and ketchup, but never tried mustard. When our kids lived at home it was my middle daughters job to make the ketchup so we'd have it on our weekends that we spent out on our sailboat.
I love homemade ketchup! We are still eating the jars I canned in 2021. It's a long process when I used fresh tomatoes but the flavor is amazing.

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I am Definitely going to make this!
We don't go through mustard that quickly either.
Interesting, last time I canned grape jelly I didn't think it set, so I labelled it "runny." After sitting for a few months it was perfectly jelled.
Right now, to keep weight on my 15yo Lab mix, I have been making "dog broth," which is just broth made from whatever bones, etc. I have in the freezer. I have taken to hot water bathing it bc it never sits for more than a few weeks, and the seal holds.
I have both my pressure canner and hot water bath canner living under the sink, since I have been making lots of broth.
For this recipe I just need to find the brown mustard seeds. Already have yellow mustard seeds.
Thanks for sharing! :hugs
I hope you do! After canning, let the flavors mingle for few weeks before opening a jar for eating.
I don't have brown mustard so I just double up on yellow mustard.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
When we got "Frostbite" earlier this month, I realized that I hadn't done anything with "Big Boy's" frozen beef bones.
I cooked down what was labelled as "Ox Tails." I am almost done pressure canning them. there was a good amount of meat left and not enough broth for an extra 1/2 pint. I am recooking the bones for "dog broth," which I will hot water bath can tomorrow and use up in the next week. I had bought cheap lids, Uline, and some failed, so I won't use them for human consumption anymore, just Ball lids.
Doggies will have the meat and extra broth with dinner tonight.
(NO WONDER my dogs follow me around!)
By the pressure canner, on the fridge, is my new magnetic timer! SOOO pretty!! :love I am including a photo of one of my plastic funnels. You should have a funnel in your kitchen anyway bc it is a great way to pour lots of things into containers without making a mess.
For CANNING, you should buy one that has a fill line, like this off white funnel. This is where you fill for regular mouth jars, but not all funnels have this line on them. My blue one does not and I always use IT for filling my coffee bean jars bc I know where to stop and it's different from the fill line for canning.

Attachments

• Ox Tail bones broth, 03-28-23, #1.jpg
    Ox Tail bones broth, 03-28-23, #1.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 73
  • Ox Tail bones broth, 03-28-23, #2.jpg
    Ox Tail bones broth, 03-28-23, #2.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 75
  • Ox Tail bones broth, 03-28-23, #2.jpg
    Ox Tail bones broth, 03-28-23, #2.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 77
  • Ox Tail bones broth, 03-28-23, #3.jpg
    Ox Tail bones broth, 03-28-23, #3.jpg